Has your child ever had a fever and no other symptoms?

My daughter has been running a fever yesterday and today anywhere from 100 to 103. Took her to the doctors this morning and they can't find anything wrong. She does have a cough.

Flu- Negative
Ears are normal
Chest x-rays- normal
throat- normal

Anyone else been here? What did you do?

We have been giving motrin and Tylenol to take down the fever. Delsym at night for the cough as well as running the humidifier.

mommytobrooke

Asked by mommytobrooke at 3:55 PM on Feb. 23, 2011 in School-Age Kids (5-8)

• Yes, my daughter had this last week and the week before. She tested positive for strep.
    mommy_of_two388

Answer by mommy_of_two388 at 4:04 PM on Feb. 23, 2011

• It is likely that her body is fighting off a virus.

Last year my youngest ran cyclical fevers. He would have a 2-3 fever of up to 103 every 2-3 weeks. We were just getting into investigating it when he had a seizure. Turns out he had strep. Every time they had tested for strep before (he had strep breath) it was negative. We figure it was in his digestive tract and when he vomited it finally got into his throat.

Not saying that your little one is going to have a seizure. Mine has epilepsy. The fever plus strep induced a seizure.
    balagan_imma

Answer by balagan_imma at 4:04 PM on Feb. 23, 2011

• Yes, this has happened to my older daughter a few times in the last several years. I don't freak out over it because it's just a sign that her body is fighting some sort of little infection somewhere. I just let it run its course and it always does. I don't even give her Tylenol unless she gets really uncomfortable. I just let her sleep, drink plenty of water, eat if she wants to, and the fever breaks within a day or two. Hope your daughter is okay and feeling better soon!
    vicesix

Answer by vicesix at 4:06 PM on Feb. 23, 2011

• Yes. Just recently. She had a fever off and on for 2-3 days. Just a little virus that had to run its course.
    August07Mom

Answer by August07Mom at 4:20 PM on Feb. 23, 2011

• Yes my son had that when he was a newborn. Both of my kids get a fever after they've just had vaccines but its supposed to happen.
    SweetLoveofMine

Answer by SweetLoveofMine at 4:23 PM on Feb. 23, 2011

• Maybe some new molars are coming in?
    Pnukey

Answer by Pnukey at 8:18 PM on Mar. 1, 2011