Normal hair loss??

I'm a bit worried if my hair loss is normal or not.

When I would use a comb, I had to continuously clean the comb of my hair. So I started detangling my hair with my fingers, and I still have a large amount coming out. If I gently tug on my hair, I get about 5-20 strands...each and every time I do it. There's hair on the floor when I sweep, there's hair in my bed, hair on my clothes, etc. By the way, I have very curly hair.

How much hair do you lose on a daily basis?

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 3:57 PM on Feb. 23, 2011 in Health

• That seems like an awful lot to me, unless you are about six months out from a pregnancy in which case I think it's pretty normal. Your body stops shedding hair during pregnancy and then lets it all go several months or so after delivery. I have a lot of hair on my head and when I run my fingers through it I maybe get 3 or 4 strands at the most, maybe a few more when I brush it out in the morning, but up to 20 each time does sound like a lot. I would mention it to your doctor. I know thyroid issues can have hair loss as a symptom. Good luck.
    MaryMW

Answer by MaryMW at 4:01 PM on Feb. 23, 2011

• My youngest is 19 months old....it was pretty bad right after having her.

I had my doctor do a general physical this past fall, and I had no medical issues. My blood count was good, thyroid was good, kidneys and liver good, no diabetes or iron deficiency..or anything else that would seemingly cause this. The only thing that I could think that would cause it is my medication that I'm taking for epilepsy.
    Anonymous

Comment by Anonymous (original poster) at 4:04 PM on Feb. 23, 2011

• It's probably your medication. The only time I had hair fall out like that was 1-after having baby and 2-after having hair pulled too tight.
    SweetLoveofMine

Answer by SweetLoveofMine at 4:15 PM on Feb. 23, 2011

• I went thru the same thing. I am 59 years old, my hair it started to thin about a year ago. It did not become noticeable until later on in the year. This is what I have learned. If your hair is thinning it's natural. If it falls out in patches you need to see a doctor. Have some blood work done to see if you have hormone problems. or if anything else my be out of wack. Take a look at the medication that you have taking and see if this is a side effect. I now use a product that colors the scalp to hide shinny scalp and use a special shampoo and conditioner to clean and stimulate the hair follicles to start growing again. So far no hair.regrowth. I understand how devastating this can be. I felt horrible about my thinning hair but with the scalp makeup it's bearable. Free samples Goggle Shabo Cosmetics

Bridget3232

Answer by Bridget3232 at 4:20 PM on Feb. 23, 2011

• My hair is kinda thinning as well. I've tried several shampoos, etc. Infusium seems to not thin my hair out as much. Use a comb after you shower ,not a brush until it's dry. I've been taking the vitamin Biotin lately along with my Centrum ultra women, magnesium, and vitamin c. Feels like it's been helping. Oh and I've been drinking more water lately as well. and i've been eating more protein at lunch ie turkey or peanut butter and jelly sandwiches. I used this stuff called Eqyss in a big black bottle. It feels pretty soothing on ur scalp actually. I think the vitamins have helped me out a lot though. I read somewhere that using the boiled water from peppers and appplying it when it's cool on ur scalp helps to stimulate ur scalp. I havent tried that one yet. On the radio for a long time now I've been hearing about ovationhair.com and how it helps ur hair grow long and strong, etc. It's about $100 dollars. Hope this helps.
    istealcookies

Answer by istealcookies at 4:35 PM on Feb. 23, 2011

• I lose a lot of hair, but if it's unusual for you, let your doctor know.
    SweetLuci

Answer by SweetLuci at 10:57 AM on Feb. 24, 2011