:-(

I've been unusually constipated [tmi] lately and i've just noticed, i have the feeling that i'd like to go, but can't and it'getting to the point it's starting to make my lower abdomen sore and sore around my belly button. Could this be from straining? Or should I be concerned. I'm only 23 weeks.

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 3:29 PM on Nov. 19, 2008 in Pregnancy

• When I was pregnant I only got constipated like that once...this is going to sound really gross, and I am sorry, but this is what I did...

I actually reached around there and "helped" myself out a little. I have latex gloves I use for housework and such, I slapped one of those on, used some lube, and just reached in there with one finger and helped some of it find its way out.

Once I did that and got rid of the hard stuff that was blocking the way, the rest came out on its own, and it was such a relief!!

Posting Anon on this one, cause I don't want to hear what other moms have to say about it!
    Anonymous

• The soreness in your belly is probably from you becoming backed up! Straining would hurt your butt, but you don't want to strain, anyway (hemmrhoids!). Drink lots of water and eat lots of fiber, and maybe ask your doctor about a pregnancy-safe laxative. Good luck!
    KatieCrandall

Answer by KatieCrandall at 3:31 PM on Nov. 19, 2008

• You can take stool softeners to try to help move things along. I had the same problem when I was pregnant. Good luck!
    mommacierra

Answer by mommacierra at 3:34 PM on Nov. 19, 2008

• Try psyllium. Its an herb that is wonderful for constipation and safe to use while pregnant.
    NightOwlMama

Answer by NightOwlMama at 3:48 PM on Nov. 19, 2008

• try a stool softner and add some fiber to your diet. you can try metamusel its safe for you and baby if you want you can call your dr first but im 17wks and they told me i can take it.
    Mommy2B04

Answer by Mommy2B04 at 3:55 PM on Nov. 19, 2008

• Dont strain! Hemherroids are the worst pain I have ever had including having a baby... Drink lots of water and eat strawberries and fiber... Try Bran cereal or Raisin bran. I would talk to your OB, my mom had to actually get on meds when she was pregnant because the poop was not coming out... They might have better advice for you as well :)
    LovinMyMikayla

Answer by LovinMyMikayla at 3:57 PM on Nov. 19, 2008

• Ask your dr before you take anything. Esp. a laxative. It could send you into labor.
    Anonymous

• The softener I was given as a prescrip when i was pregnant with my first which is now available over the counter is Miralax. It took a day or 2 to work, but helped in the long run. I find with this pregnancy that eating dried apricots helps a bunch too.
    urthat1chick

Answer by urthat1chick at 8:08 PM on Nov. 19, 2008