I thought school nurses were supposed to watch the kids take there medication

My sons Doctor has him on a special diet and dietary enzyme. Which the school nuse gives him at lunch. Well my son told me that she doesn't even watch him take it and he actually left her office with it and could have or may have thrown it away. Anyways I thought the point of going to her to take it was to make sure he takes it. He is only 8 yrs old. Does anyone know what school rules are regarding this? Thanks in advance.

cutie222

Asked by cutie222 at 3:57 PM on Feb. 23, 2011 in Health

• I would be calling the principal on that matter asap. That's LAZINESS on the nurse's part. They could be in some major trouble if another kid took that medication or if something happeed to your son. You need to use this particular word when you talk to the principal : LAWSUIT.
    SweetLoveofMine

Answer by SweetLoveofMine at 4:00 PM on Feb. 23, 2011

• yes she / he is she needs to make sure they take it and it can not leave the office because if another child took it thinking its candy or something she/he can be sued for it hirting the other child it is not prescribed for
    blinkys11

Answer by blinkys11 at 4:00 PM on Feb. 23, 2011

• Oh boy. In our district that is a clear violation of the rules. She is to "administer the perscribed medication" Administer doesn't mean just hand it to him. It means make sure it goes down. Lots of kids take ADHD drugs at school..what if they weren't watched and they stock piled them. What a nightmare. I would be going to the vice principal about this. It is unacceptable. I HATE giving this advice, LOL, I'm a nurse...but wrong is wrong.
    GrnEyedGrandma

Answer by GrnEyedGrandma at 4:02 PM on Feb. 23, 2011

• Sounds like a visit to the superintendant is in order!
    Memigen

Answer by Memigen at 4:24 PM on Feb. 23, 2011

• Every school district has different policies so you need to visit your son school and ask the principal or school nurse.

musicmom08

Answer by musicmom08 at 6:22 PM on Feb. 23, 2011

• Every school has different policies. If you child is old enough and coherent enough to tell you that he walked out of the office with it, and that he wasn't watched, maybe you should be speaking to him about being responsible concerning his health. At 8 years old, he shouldn't be doing things like that unless he has other problems.
    SweetLuci

Answer by SweetLuci at 10:56 AM on Feb. 24, 2011