Do you punish while potty training or just say it's ok if they poo in their pull up each time?

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 4:03 PM on Feb. 23, 2011 in Toddlers (1-2)

• Wait until they are ready and get rid of the pull up. It's just a diaper. They don't understand why they can't poop in it. Wait until they turn 3 and go right to undies.
    mompam

Answer by mompam at 4:08 PM on Feb. 23, 2011

• No I don't punish, and no other parent that is successful in potty-training their child does either. It's about learning.
    SweetLoveofMine

Answer by SweetLoveofMine at 4:05 PM on Feb. 23, 2011

• Never punish during potty training. Like PP said say they did a good job try and explain to them what needs t be done. Punishing them will just turn them off from wanting to learn.
    mommy_of_two388

Answer by mommy_of_two388 at 4:05 PM on Feb. 23, 2011

• At night go with the pull ups. That can take years. Don't get rid of them until he wakes up dry for 2 weeks.
    mompam

Answer by mompam at 4:15 PM on Feb. 23, 2011

• pooping in the pull ups while learning........depends on how close my child was to the toilet before the accident.

pooping in underwear on purpose......my child had to clean up their own mess in the bathtub with the coldest water I could get to come out of the tap.

Not even trying to poop in the toilet? I'd talk with the child (did with my son) about why they won't poop in the toilet. If it's "monsters" or some variation try letting them squat on the toilet seat so the splashing doesn't get their little butts wet. Did THAT with my son too and that put an end to the pooping in his pants.
    Rosehawk

Answer by Rosehawk at 4:17 PM on Feb. 23, 2011

• Here's my story. My son decided the only place to poop was on my bedroom carpet. I was like "Oh hell no" and punished him. After much frustration I finally caved and did what the books were telling me to do; don't make a moral issue out of it.

So every time he pooped on the carpet I cleaned it up without saying a word. One week later he was pooping in the potty.
    onethentwins

Answer by onethentwins at 4:53 PM on Feb. 23, 2011

• I say its okay..it was a good try and give a big hug.
    kimberlyinberea

Answer by kimberlyinberea at 4:04 PM on Feb. 23, 2011

• We have been attempting to potty train our two-year-old daughter but she just isn't ready yet but I would never punish her for going in her pull-up. Telling her well that's a good try, but next time let's try to go in the big girl potty. Encouragement and reassuring them is what they need, not punishment. I think punishing them would make them not go in the potty even more.
    poptart0325

Answer by poptart0325 at 4:06 PM on Feb. 23, 2011

• Saying it's okay doesn't give them permission, saying it's okay is letting them know they aren't in trouble. That's why you say try again and explain that they need to pee/poop in the toilet.
    mommy_of_two388

Answer by mommy_of_two388 at 4:09 PM on Feb. 23, 2011

• Think of it this way...eventually they WILL be potty trained..they won't poo in thier pants for forever. You want this time to be a positive learning time..not a negative one. It should be stress free for parents and child. If its just too stressful. Maybe the child is not ready.Its not like they are pooing in thier pants on purpose..it takes time to learn to go to the potty.
    kimberlyinberea

Answer by kimberlyinberea at 4:12 PM on Feb. 23, 2011