Culture clash

How many of you have married or live with someone who is of another culture? Do your cultures conflict in the way you raise your children or how you deal with your marriage?

cecyh9

Asked by cecyh9 at 4:13 PM on Feb. 23, 2011 in Relationships

• I'm American, my husband Mexican. We embrace each other's cultures and the differences aren't something that's ever been a problem for us. They're a lot more 'old school' whereas we are more modern. A lot of their idea's of raising children are different from us in the States. Like they don't think it's a big deal to give a toddler a bottle and we in the States try to have ours off a bottle by 1 year. Carseats aren't a big deal to them, it's a big safety issue for us. Most women down here wear their babies, you hardly see them in strollers. I've seen more mother's breastfeeding down here, especially out in public, than in the States. My husband adapted to the way I want our kids raised, not the way they raise children down here.
    Nanixh

Answer by Nanixh at 4:39 PM on Feb. 23, 2011

• yes i have a S/O that is Jewish and im not i think its great our differences is what keeps us together we are both very curious about each others culture we been together for 6 years
    cnoble927

Answer by cnoble927 at 4:15 PM on Feb. 23, 2011

• I'm a product of a mixed culture: My Dad is a secular Jew and my Mom was a secular Protestant. They had no conflicts whatsoever. However, it has been hard for me to have any cultural identity because I'm not considered Jewish by Jews. However, I'm considered a Jew by non-Jews.
    kathyartist2007

Answer by kathyartist2007 at 4:25 PM on Feb. 23, 2011

• I cohabited with a boyfriend once.He was Puerto Rican.Their culture is Latino and is somewhat different then ours.He helped raise my children and he did not allow spanking them.Latinos our family oriented and take care of their families.
    alisha34886

Answer by alisha34886 at 4:36 PM on Feb. 23, 2011

• Hubby is Hawaiian and pretty much the only differences in child rearing were diet and discipline
    nursekristy

Answer by nursekristy at 4:44 PM on Feb. 23, 2011