8 year does not seem to have any friends...any advice to help this?

My son is 8, and severely ADHD. As in, even with meds, he is a handful, sometimes to the point I have to walk away to keep calm, and come back to deal with it a few moments later. He is mentally behind other children his age. He is already behind school kids his age, as he failed Kindergraden due to the ADHD. We've recently moved, and he's having so many difficulties. He doesn't WANT to do work, in or out of school, he is being called names on the bus, and coming home crying, and says nobody likes him in class. I've racked my brain, trying to think of ideas to help my son develope better, and help him be more social. But money's tight, so we cant do things like the bowling alley, skating rink, etc for him to meet other children. DH and I don't have any friends in our new town that have kids, and with my work and school schedule, I've not really had time to really make new friends myself. Does anyone know of anything we can do? Ive suggested to DH that we ask Robby (DS) if he wants to invite a friend or 2 over on a weekend night, but not sure if that would help or not either. Thanks for any suggestions ladies!

sissy4444

Asked by sissy4444 at 4:14 PM on Feb. 23, 2011 in School-Age Kids (5-8)

• Look into some behavior therapy first of all itll help him in many ways. It will also help you and connect you with resources in the community since you are new to it. Second look into a boys club, or maybe even boys scouts. He can meet other boys there and make friends that way. Little league is also starting and with adhd it might be something he is good at.

Answer by gemgem at 4:18 PM on Feb. 23, 2011

• It seems like the more natural ur food is the better it is for your children and their mood. Maybe you could have ur child's meds changed?They might be too strong for him and he's reacting out to them? I'd find it challenging myself to be around a hyperactive child. Maybe it would help him by spending more time in nature at the park or taking a hike or just doing some yoga or tai chi to calm him down a little. After awhile kids will want to play with him. But maybe you can talk to the bus driver and mention ur son's being teased. Perhaps a school official can help you better or refer you out to someone who could help you better.
    istealcookies

Answer by istealcookies at 4:23 PM on Feb. 23, 2011

• Its really sad but unfortunately the other kids can probably tell he's "different" and that's why they are being cruel or just not making friends with him. The best thing to is is for him to make friends with other kids like him who can relate and who understand eachother. Maybe there are support groups in your area you can look into? Making friends with mothers and fathers of these children would help you as well. If there is a special needs group or center that deals with children with ADHD, might be a good place to start. Good luck.
    Anonymous

• I would look into support groups and structured activities--like sports and summer camps DESIGNED for children with special needs.

Both of my children have autism, and I have them enrolled in a FREE summer day camp for children with autism--age and skill appropriate (which includes free round-trip door to door transportation), and VERY low cost (ie: $20/season or session) soccer program, horseback riding program, and karate classes throughout the school year.

Until I did this, I felt VERY isolated and my children did not have any REAL friends. Through these programs I've met some GREAT parents and my children have friends and we can all lean on one another for support and learning about new groups and programs in the area to help our children. :o)
    LoriKeet

Answer by LoriKeet at 10:03 AM on Feb. 26, 2011

• Forgot to add....ask your Developmental Pediatrician (or whomever diagnosed your son) if they know of any community based social skills groups or activity programs you can become involved in. MANY of these programs are subsidized by your state (but they don't advertise--you have to make dozens of phone calls to find out about them), and there are often small grants available for children to participate in such programs--but again there are many hurdles to jump over and applications processes are rather involved. However, it ALL pays off when you DO get accepted into such programs.
    LoriKeet

Answer by LoriKeet at 10:07 AM on Feb. 26, 2011

• sounds like a good case for home school
    Pnukey

Answer by Pnukey at 8:17 PM on Mar. 1, 2011