Going Blind?

Apparently I am going blind...

In 2005 I had 20/20 vision. I have noticed the past few months that sometimes some things are kinda fuzzy...

Yesterday I went to get my Drivers License renewed, and I had to do a vision test.
I now have 40/20 in my left eye and 70/20 in my right eye. They gave me my license, but they said that next time I will need to have corrective lenses.

How did this happen?!?! I need to make an appointment with an eye doctor, but I am so scared! I just don't understand how I could go from perfect vision to terrible...any ideas?

CarolynBarnett

Asked by CarolynBarnett at 3:30 PM on Nov. 19, 2008 in Health

• Could be lots of things. Your best bet is to see your eye doctor right away. Some eye conditions can be stopped or slowed down with treatment or meds. I wouldn't put it off if I were you.
    pinkink

Answer by pinkink at 3:37 PM on Nov. 19, 2008

• If you are still able to get the license w/out corrective lenses then you are not "going blind" in the tradional sense. Hell, my husband IS really practiacally blind without his glasses & he drives. When he is in the shower w/out his glasses he holds the shampoo bottle about a half inch from one eye and closes the other just to be able to see the letters to make sure he has the shampoo & not the conditioner! Anyway, you get older & your vision can change. My ex didnt need glasses till he was in his 30's. He could see fine and it just got fuzzier over time. Just go get some glasses.
    Anonymous

• You are so young it could be that your vision has changed and you need glasses. You don't have terrible vision. It's a mild prescription. You'll be so happy to have corrective lenses. You'll see what you've been missing.

But normal aging of the eyes is only for close up vision. People need their 1st set of reading glasses around age 40. This is not the condition you are describing and you need to be seen by an eye doctor. Too many possiblities to list. You're going to have to been seen by the eye doctor for glasses anyway, he/she will check you out then to make sure nothing out of the ordinary is going on.
    pinkink

Answer by pinkink at 4:08 PM on Nov. 19, 2008

• Go to the doctor's. I basically failed my vision test when I was renewing my Lic. , but I had the kids with me, so they said the same, take it, but go to the doctor. For some reason a lot of the letters were fuzzy or I was just wrong. I had no idea I was having problems. I read all the time....well I did go to the doctors and I'm sick. not saying that will happen, but why risk it.

Anonymous

• Having babies can ruin your vision. You are still far from blind. I was 20/125 before my kids and am now 20/300. When I took my vision test for my license, I couldn't even see that there were letters up there! I cannot legally drive without them, but I would crash if I tried. Before kids, they were 20/125 because I read too much and caused eye strain.

Pnukey

Answer by Pnukey at 11:04 PM on Nov. 19, 2008