If you don't have health insurance now or you have health insurance with a large deductible, would you if you got healthcare made available to you with no deductible and at no cost would you see the doctor for every cut and scrape and every flu like symptom?

Be honest, this is a break off from the c-section question. If we abuse insurance it makes costs go up, are we capable as Americans of being moderate. Or do we need have the government limit coverages. Now I am not goin to pretend I know anything about what Obama is going to do but if we all had free healthcare would we abuse it?

SheriSanchez

Asked by SheriSanchez at 3:33 PM on Nov. 19, 2008 in Politics & Current Events

• I'm Canadian, and we have free publically funded health care. I don't go to the doctor unless I'm really sick and quite honestly I don't know anyone who abuses the system and go to the doctor every time they cough or have a sniffle. I used to be a social worker working with seniors and the only clients I saw abuse the system where those with mental health issues... some with dementia who got paranoid about health and some who had serious anxiety issues and were hypochondriacs. By and large the system here is not abused and I think it's great and honestly don't know why it's so controversial in the US!
    Freela

Answer by Freela at 5:59 PM on Nov. 19, 2008

• I personally wouldn't...lol but that's because I hate going to the doctor unless I'm dead or dying! But I do know a lot of people that spend more time in the doc's office or ER than they do anywhere else and it drives me crazy. I can't imagine spending so much time in such a miserable place. And unless my doc is going to give me free lipo with 10 visits or something, I have to pretty much be hit over the head to get in there.
    mama_hayes

Answer by mama_hayes at 3:36 PM on Nov. 19, 2008

• Def. not.. I would only use it if i was really sick or I had an emergency!
    Anonymous

• Nope, I hate going to the doctor!!! lol
    CarolynBarnett

Answer by CarolynBarnett at 3:37 PM on Nov. 19, 2008

• I will be honest here, I went 14 years with sh*tty healthcare coverage and it would costs me $464 a month and my deductibles were like $2000 per person. When I married my military husband and I got free healthcare I was ecstatic and elated and very greatful I no longer had to worry what it was going to set me back when my son was taken to the emergency room after his car accident or when he was taken to the emergency room for his broken wrist after snowboarding, but at the same time I feel a little guilty because I know that's what we all want and if we can all get this that would be great, but I hate to see it abused. I won't go to the doctor for every little thing that happens, I did at first and it felt really good, but like I said I felt guilty.
    SheriSanchez

Answer by SheriSanchez at 3:38 PM on Nov. 19, 2008

• No, I would not.
    Anonymous

• No. I have medicaid & so do my kids & we only go if absolutely necessary. I just had the flu recently & did not go. I don't pay a thing & I still use discretion.  I actually went to the dr. MORE when I had private insurance. When you have medicaid the doctors are less helpful & act like you are wasting their time even if you are sick. Its like you are a 2nd class citizen if you have medicaid sometimes.  I got treated with more respect, got taken more seriously when I had private insurance. I hate going to the medicaid docs. 

Anonymous

• You should ask this same question to military moms, who have all of their healthcare paid for in full.

Most will probably say no.

The reason? It's a major headache to deal with the miliary healthcare system, I could go on on and on.
    Anonymous

• I am very thankful for the coverage and I don't abuse it now, I tell my son to suck it up I'm not taking him everytime he has a little sprain or a strained muscle or everytime he gets a cold.
    SheriSanchez

Answer by SheriSanchez at 3:42 PM on Nov. 19, 2008

• I have pretty good insurance thru DH job, We pay a 10$ deductable for office visits and 10$ for each prescrptn. but i dont use it unless im really sick, not stuff that can be fixed at home like colds.
    Anonymous