Can we talk about Christmas?

Is everyone tired of the pressure that you have to attend this party that party. Or that its almost expected that you buy for everyone and thier uncle? What happen to nice family dinners with out all the drama of gift giving. Im in the dog house with my family because they all want to exchange gifts again. Whats wrong with just buying for the kids. We spend 20 bucks per person, and most of the time they want the receipt to take the stuff back. I even asked them is it that important that you recieve a gift from me. In the economic times we are all in, Gifts are the most important?? Am I crazy or something??

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 3:34 PM on Nov. 19, 2008 in Religion & Beliefs

• Thats one reason I don't celebrate the holidays...Too much bs
    Anonymous

• Amen to that!
    jamesmommy12

Answer by jamesmommy12 at 3:41 PM on Nov. 19, 2008

• We have a family dinner and each person brings a gift. My family brings 4 because there are 4 of us. We play the Chinese gift exchange game...I can't even think of what's it's called. Our limit is $20.00. I shop clearance all year and spend what would be $20.00 but with clearance I average $7-15.00. We have a great time all together. I bake cookies or German Cheese Strudel for friends and wrap it in a pretty box. I shop all year for those as well and spend an average of 3.00 per box. I give away about 15.
    Anonymous

• I'm not shy. I say...."we are just shopping for the kids this year because we are broke PLEASE do not buy us anything." Then I only buy for my parents and his parents and the kids. I feel like christmas is all about the kids anyway!
    momof030404

Answer by momof030404 at 3:51 PM on Nov. 19, 2008

• I'm so sorry that's happening to you. We keep gift giving very low key in my family. My parents and in laws are getting framed updated pictures from a photo studio of us as a family and just the kids. (I love pictures.) I hate buying gifts just for people to have something to open - I am much more about sentimental ideas and love. I hate junk, I hate clutter. I've already made it clear I don't want birthdays and holidays to be about greed and "I want!"... My parents are putting money in savings accounts for college for my kids instead of going nuts on gifts.
    Serafyna

Answer by Serafyna at 3:52 PM on Nov. 19, 2008

• As for extended family, honestly if they insist on getting gifts - I've gotten things like $5 scratch offs for everyone. Not a huge expense, usually enjoyable for everyone... and someone may come out ahead. Maybe you can suggest a White Elephant this year? Everyone buys ONE gift and put them in a pile. The first person opens, the next person opens one and gets to decide if they want to keep what they got or steal from someone else. Its fun and saves buying a ton of gifts.
    Serafyna

• Thanks everyone for listening to my vent! I suggested everything above and they wont budge. So I told them if they want me there, do your gift exchange early and I will come for dinner. I always bring out all the stops with bringing food for the dinner. I will still buy for the kids but the adult gift giving is over for me. We are all in our 40s, I think enough is enough. Christmas is fun for the kids, I think its all time they grow up some. The family is getting too big to be carrying on like this anymore. I dont have hundreds of dollars to spend, I also dont like junk, clutter etc. Nice dinner watch the kids open presents eat some cookies and watch a movie is what I would want the most!
    Yebbers

Answer by Yebbers at 4:10 PM on Nov. 19, 2008

• My sisters and I decided that we would no longer be buying presents for each others kids, unless we are going to actually be seeing them on Christmas. For instance I will buy stuff for my nephew Paxton, because they live 20 min. away, and I will be seeing them some time on Christmas. But I wont be buying for my other 5 neices or nephews because they live in other states, across the country. Basically if the present would have to be shipped, than don't buy it. It's just so hard, even though they are my family and I love them, I only see them about once a year, and it is so difficult to buy presents for kids you don't really know. And it gets wicked expensive, not only buying the presents, but then paying for shipping too.
    my2.5boys

Answer by my2.5boys at 4:49 PM on Nov. 19, 2008

• Instead of buying gifts for everyone, the kids and I make a lot of gifts. They are MUCH cheaper and have a ton more meaning behind them. No one in the family gripes because they know my kids helped and who wants to let down the kids? Many of the gifts I recieve are also handmade...it's my favorite kind of gift!
    ReneeK3

Answer by ReneeK3 at 4:50 PM on Nov. 19, 2008

• I hear you. My husband and I actually put our foot down and told our extended family that we will continue to buy gifts ($10 max) for each child (and our parents)but not for siblings. As an adult we kept receiving gift cards for any exchange because no one knows what to get each other. It's a waste of money and puts undo stress on the family. I don't need anything, and rarely want anything.

So, we let our family decide what they were going to do as well. After the 1st Christmas where my husband and I didn't get everyone gifts they all joined the band wagon. So now, Christmas is more about family than about saving money to buy nonsense gifts for the sake of giving.

Don't give in. If you really don't want to be involved, it's your choice and they need to learn to deal with it. If you don't care than they shouldn't either. Adults shouldn't get so caught up in the "whatcha get me" trap.
    lifeofchaois

Answer by lifeofchaois at 5:51 PM on Nov. 19, 2008