Do Serrano peppers taste like Jalapenos?

My SIL makes awesome cheese and peppers with bacon, the only thing is is half the time they are spicy the other time they are not. Someone told me that Serrano peppers are not as spicy, which I would like, but I love the taste of the Jalapenos. So do the Serrano's have a similiar flavor to Jalapenos...If not do you think they would work in place of Jalapeno's? Thanks everyone!

nazratred

Asked by nazratred at 3:35 PM on Nov. 19, 2008 in Food & Drink

• I thought they were hotter?
    riotgrrl

Answer by riotgrrl at 3:42 PM on Nov. 19, 2008

• LOL..Obviously you are talking to the wrong person..I think Habenero's are hotter (well I know from personal experience they are..LOL..BAD!..LOL), but I would lov eto know from some people if Serrano's are hotter..My mom said she thought they were milder. But we don't really know.

If they are hotter, does anyone know what pepper is mild that tastes like a Jalapeno?
    nazratred

Answer by nazratred at 3:46 PM on Nov. 19, 2008

• Not sure about Serranos. I think Pablonos are milder, but I think they are quite a bit bigger than Jalepenos. (They're the type you use for chili rellanos)
    Nika75

Answer by Nika75 at 4:56 PM on Nov. 19, 2008

• They jsut have a different taste to them. i dont believe either is hotter than the other. For instance Serranos have a better taste if you are making salsa but if you wanted peppers on like nachos or jsut on top of somehitng i would go for the regular old Jalapenos. I prefer the taste of Serranos but i do love Jalapenos.
    ParkerMommy

Answer by ParkerMommy at 5:40 PM on Nov. 19, 2008

• Serranos are similar, but they have a more fruity pepper taste. They're not milder, but they have better flavor, more fully developed, and not just all heat. I prefer them to jalapenos. In general, the smaller the pepper, the hotter it will be...that also goes for ripeness. Fully ripe (red) jalapenos are hotter than green.
    jespeach

Answer by jespeach at 5:48 PM on Nov. 19, 2008