Thinking of flowers for the first time...

I'll start off by saying that I've never grown anything before. But this year (when spring finally rolls around), I want to give it a go. I won't be able to have a garden, as we live in an apartment, so I want to grow some flowers in pots.
How do I go about this? Any advice?

AdensMama0308

Asked by AdensMama0308 at 5:19 PM on Feb. 23, 2011 in Home & Garden

• When we were in apartments I used to keep Begonias in pots/ They grow relatively slowly. I tried to do chrysanthamums once but oh boy did that go wrong. They grew like wildfire...although when they got to be too much for the pot I gave them to our church and they planted them outside..that was nice. pansies, blackeyed susans grow slow. Roses are hard to grow in pots, they get root bound so easily. Good luck. We just planted tomato and pumpkin seeds in 'grow starters" We will translpant them in a few weeks.
    GrnEyedGrandma

Answer by GrnEyedGrandma at 5:26 PM on Feb. 23, 2011

• Impatiens are beautiful in pots. They need a lot of shade and lots of water. But if you take care of those two needs thay will do beautifully. GL! (You also might want to Google easy flowers to grow in pots)
    elizabr

Answer by elizabr at 7:18 PM on Feb. 23, 2011

• Go to a local nursery. They can give you lots of good information about what will grow in your area, depending on if it's on a balcony or in a sunny window.
    SweetLuci

Answer by SweetLuci at 10:47 AM on Feb. 24, 2011

• Local nursery or any store, i.e. food store will have some economic ones to start/ experiment with.
    Inside the pot you'll see a coloured tag with infos like the name of the flower/plant, desired sun hours per day,
    instructions on watering (daily, weekly etc).

The sun & watering instructions are the most important. Use some flower vitamins, or aspirin/ human vitamins, for growth & shine !

Good luck !
    lillyblue111

Answer by lillyblue111 at 1:51 PM on Feb. 24, 2011