How do you cut the bite out of Jalapenos?

My SIL makes awesome Jalapeno bites, but 1/2 the time they are spicy and the other half they are not at all. I prefer them not to be. She told me that the longer you roast them in the oven the more it cuts the heat. Well it sure didn't last night when she made them. Does anyone have any ideas on how to cut the heat out of Jalapenos? Thanks!!

nazratred

Asked by nazratred at 3:37 PM on Nov. 19, 2008 in Food & Drink

• Cut the seeds out! The heat is in the seeds. If you cut out the seeds, the flavor will still be there, but not the actual heat of the pepper :D
    caitxrawks

Answer by caitxrawks at 3:45 PM on Nov. 19, 2008

• its all in the jalapeno itself. when you buy them smell them. if they smell hot they are hot and they dont smell as hot then they are more mild. and its true the longer you bake them the less hot they will be but in the end its the pepper itself.
    Mommy2B04

Answer by Mommy2B04 at 3:45 PM on Nov. 19, 2008

• Wow..I can use both advices. So I will look "smell" for milder peppers and cut the seeds out then roast the hell out of them..LOL. Thanks!!
    nazratred

Answer by nazratred at 3:47 PM on Nov. 19, 2008

• You mean heat as in after you have eaten one, drink lots of milk and if you are talking about the other end...whoa! use some ice or preperation H.
    Sorry... I really don't know how to take out the too spicy of a jalapeno but to take out the seeds and that could take forever.
    Butterfly1108

Answer by Butterfly1108 at 4:27 PM on Nov. 19, 2008

• Both of the previous posters were right. I also have a third tip. There is a ton of heat from the pepper within the membrane of the pepper. I'm not sure how your SIL makes her bites, but when I make my poppers, I cut the top off and scoop out all the insides. The membranes are the little lines you'll see inside. You need to scrape those completely off. That will lesson the heat Greatly!

Our friends can tell who prepped the peppers when we make poppers. My hubby does it quicker and isn't as thorough with the membranes. I scoop the heck out of them. Mine are hardly ever hot, hubby's batches always have a few mouth burners.
    Nika75

Answer by Nika75 at 4:28 PM on Nov. 19, 2008

• Thank you! yeah last night the ones she made made my lips numb..LOL. I love all the ideas..thank you!!
    nazratred

Answer by nazratred at 4:43 PM on Nov. 19, 2008

• Or mix in some mango- It REALLY makes a difference. I make salsa and put mango in it and it calms down the heat a lot.
    Sandiii

Answer by Sandiii at 5:22 PM on Nov. 19, 2008

• The majority of the capsaicin in a jalapeno or any other hot pepper is in the inner ribs and seeds. Removing these will reduce the heat by quite a bit. Also you can make sure you buy smooth, green jalapenos with no "scars"...the thin brown dry-looking lines. The more scars, the higher the heat level. Larger peppers will be less spicy that smaller peppers too.

I've been told that soaking them in milk will help, which makes sense since the capsaicin binds with dairy fats.
    jespeach

Answer by jespeach at 5:35 PM on Nov. 19, 2008

• i've been told the darker the pepper the spicier they are... the seeds ARE what hold the hottness in them
    AudlyLuvly

Answer by AudlyLuvly at 6:09 PM on Nov. 19, 2008

• remove all the seeds and the membrane holding the seeds and that reduce the heat.
    Anonymous