My baby wants to be held all of the time. She only sleeps in short naps, even at night. I'm lucky if I get 3 hours of sleep. She cries as soon as I put her down so I end up spending all day just holding her. She is just four weeks old, but I'm already tearing my hair out and crying because I'm so tired. Is this normal?

Catherine0929

Asked by Catherine0929 at 5:37 PM on Feb. 23, 2011 in Babies (0-12 months)

• 4 weeks old is not that old. Don't worry, just enjoy holding and get one of those swings that are cradle swings that plug in if you need too.
    prettyinink2011

Answer by prettyinink2011 at 5:39 PM on Feb. 23, 2011

• She's only 4 weeks old, so only getting 3 hours of sleep at a time at night is pretty normal.... Have you considered getting a wrap, so you can carry her, but still have your hands free? I used a sleepy wrap with my son when he was a baby, and I LOVED it. He was still held tight against my body, it was comfortable to wear (distributes the weight evenly, so you don't have straps digging into your shoulders), and I could still get stuff done...
    Anouck

Answer by Anouck at 5:42 PM on Feb. 23, 2011

• Yes, normal. Welcome to motherhood :)
    Krysta622

Answer by Krysta622 at 6:00 PM on Feb. 23, 2011

• Make sure you have a consistent way to get her to sleep.  We always found it worked best for us to get into a sleep time routine that was always the same right from the start. Bath, diaper change, swaddling, lights out, drapes pulled, soft music on or singing, cuddling/rocking/swaying. Not all of these, but what works for you. When the baby got drowsy he was laid down. If done in the same manner, all the time, the baby picks up on the cues and knows it's time for sleeping. The lady I do childcare for has also asked me to follow a set routine with her baby. If the baby cries at all it isn't for long. And I don't mean screaming her lungs out, but minor fussing. This is what worked for us.  And relax as much as possible so she doesn't pick up on your stress.  GL hug

elizabr

Answer by elizabr at 7:13 PM on Feb. 23, 2011

• Ugh.. it was for us.. I know, this stage is so hard for some of us.. it does get better.. is there anyone you can get help from?
    maxsmom11807

Answer by maxsmom11807 at 5:38 PM on Feb. 23, 2011

• It sounds like colic. Talk to your dr, maybe switching formula would help.
    wood1980

Answer by wood1980 at 5:41 PM on Feb. 23, 2011

• hugsMy daughter had colic and reflux as an infant. I breastfed her and she wanted to eat every hour and a half 24 hours a day until she was 8 months old. She also cried for 7 to 8 hours a day. She barely slept at all during the day and then was still waking up all the time at night. I cried a lot the first year of her life. Hang in there and get someone to help you if you can. It will get better I promise!!!

SweetOrangeMama

Answer by SweetOrangeMama at 5:43 PM on Feb. 23, 2011

• Its normal. Some babies do have colic though and are more needy. Maybe your baby has it? Basically its just more gas then normal so their stomach hurts and sometimes being held or rocked makes them feel better, which would explain why youre having to hold the baby all the time.
    It does get better. If it didnt I dont think many of us would choose to have more then one.

Answer by gemgem at 5:47 PM on Feb. 23, 2011

• aye yai yai! do you have a swing or a bouncer? those saved my life when i had my babies, especially when my 2nd and 3rd came around and i had my hands full already. i co-slept the first few months with my 3rd. even with her crib right next to mine, i just was not getting enough sleep getting up 3-4 times a night and having to take care of all of them the next day. so i put her right next to me in the bed and moved her to her crib around 3 months when the night-time feedings lessened. i did cry a lot with my first child, she cried alot too but she was also sick and had colic, so both of us were exhausted.

just know this wont last forever. try and find some temporary comfort object for baby like a swing so you can restore your sanity. ask mom/MIL to come over and help so you can rest. HUGS!!
    tnm786

Answer by tnm786 at 5:47 PM on Feb. 23, 2011

• Try a soy based formula. I had to switch with my youngest daughter after she was a few weeks old. Made a world of difference.
    I am also a believer in getting baby on your schedule. Most doctor's may disagree, but all my kids have slept through the night since they were weeks old.
    catkenobie

Answer by catkenobie at 5:57 PM on Feb. 23, 2011