Working hard & waiting for promotion, Now heard more about cutbacks!!! I'm about to scream!!!

I've been struggling on temporary work (part time), trying to get a permanent position. I've been going out of my way to get noticed, giving presentations, etc. In the past, there has been a 15% faculty cut, two departments are now online only, and there was a long time hiring freeze. Now, a faculty member said there are talks about removing her position. I'm scared too!

I'm very low on cash. I've been living on the generosity of others (sometimes sleeping in the video room). I don't have money to move again. I really had high hopes for a promotion.

If there's another cutback, how would I start over with no cash reserves. I was laid off & without a job nine months (& search across state line) before finding this job. How does one emotionally cope? And, what would be some practical steps for starting over again & again (but now with zero money)?

I'm seriously about to scream and start crying

Thanks

BlueSaphire

Asked by BlueSaphire at 5:44 PM on Feb. 23, 2011 in Money & Work

• That's rough. And not an easy situation to give advice on. Emotionally, I have been in a similar situation and it's just a matter of having faith that things are about to look up. Some days are ridiculously hard, but eventually you WILL find something. Keep putting in the effort, do your best, and something WILL happen. As far as starting over, the only things I can recommend are either tell a friend about your situation and perhaps they have extra room or could make extra room for you for awhile...or family. Perhaps do household chores or babysit in exchange for boarding. OR...and let the bashing start on this one... apply for whatever assistance you can get for now and then keep trying like hell and get back off of it in a few months. I mean, from the way you talk, you aren't some lazy ass...you're a go getter...so public assistance was designed for people like you. PM me if you wanna chat. I also found creative ways for $$$
    ErinHill226

Answer by ErinHill226 at 6:03 PM on Feb. 23, 2011

• By not giving up and continue to look for other avenues. Maybe networking through your job by word of mouth for possible opening positions. It’s frustrating I’m sure. Hang in there!
    musicmom08

Answer by musicmom08 at 6:14 PM on Feb. 23, 2011

• You should restart your job hunt now, while you are still working.

There are great ideas to help you with your search here:  http://www.cafemom.com/group/102837/

Answer by rkoloms at 6:34 PM on Feb. 23, 2011

• So sorry ... I was in the same boat, barely making ends meet and then my job started doing salary freezes, furlough days, and benefits cutsbacks. So I started a home business to supplement my income. I built my home business while I still had my job and now things are much better.

Good luck!
    MaryJacobs

Answer by MaryJacobs at 11:13 AM on Feb. 24, 2011

• I take it you work for a university. Take a look at what transferable job skills you have and then focus your efforts on getting a job that's not in education. That will broaden your job search.
    HotMama330

Answer by HotMama330 at 11:24 AM on Feb. 24, 2011