Has anyone worked at a daycare?

I have the opportunity to work at one and bring my daughter with me. I have only worked in retail so it would be very different for me. Is it really hard? How do I know if it is a good place to work? What should I expect? I am afraid that with a bunch of screaming kids I might freak out. Any suggestions/info or stories about it and whether you like it would be great. Thanks.

xredstarsx

Asked by xredstarsx at 5:44 PM on Feb. 23, 2011 in Money & Work

• I worked at one for a little while and was able to take my dd with me, it helped her get potty trained completley lol the kids i kept were almost 2 and so fun! there will be some who drive you crazy and others you want to take home with you. it was an okay place to work but as with any place, there is "cattiness" because it was all women lol I had to leave the job when I got pregnant with my ds b/c I was supposed to be on bed rest, it wasn't a bad job and my dd got benefits from it tooGL
    josiesmommy00

Answer by josiesmommy00 at 5:50 PM on Feb. 23, 2011

• I've done it and would never do it again. No No NO! I don't like other peoples kids though.
    prettyinink2011

Answer by prettyinink2011 at 5:53 PM on Feb. 23, 2011

• Uh! Run....

Yes it can get crazy but if you have a chance to bring your dd you'll have to just make the best of it. GL
    Butterfly1108

Answer by Butterfly1108 at 5:55 PM on Feb. 23, 2011

• If you enjoy children, you'll enjoy daycare. I worked in a daycare center for 5 years. I now teach elementary school. :) I prefer daycare work to retail any day too. I enjoyed all of the age groups. The infants and toddlers were much more needy and needed diaper changes, and made quite the mess come meal time, and art time etc. It's a fun age though. The twos room was always fun, but you are also helping them potty train. Lunch and nap time could be stressful. The preschoolers played more independently, and you could do a variety of activities with them. Yes, you'll have stressful days with screaming kids. It's daycare, so it will happen. The days are also fun, for your job is to entertain the children, and keep them safe :) The hours are ONLY day hours. No nights, no weekends, and your DD will be in the same location as you.

KairisMama

Answer by KairisMama at 5:59 PM on Feb. 23, 2011

• I worked aqt one- I was with the 2 yr olds...they had too many kids for the ratio, and god help us if we had to pee or something-couldn't leave the room unless someone else could come in for me to go. Some kids are super cute/sweet...some are little brats
    I got paid not much more than minimum wage. It was ok but not a fabulous job by any stretch of the imagination-
    charlotsomtimes

Answer by charlotsomtimes at 7:01 PM on Feb. 23, 2011

• I did not enjoy working in a traditional daycare at all. I have worked with all age groups and have found that I prefer preschoolers and up.

It's a dirty job, the pay sucks, you will work when you are sick, but don't even consider bringing your sick child to work, you never get the days off you want/need because the director's BFFs always get priority treatment and you will get yelled at by parents who think you are an idiot in training.

I run one out of my home and it's a much better situation, but I'm on my way out. I can't see myself doing this line of work for more than a few more months.
    SnapdragonSMT

Answer by SnapdragonSMT at 8:48 PM on Feb. 23, 2011

• I did, in highschool and college.  I wouldn't do it again.  It's very tiring, yet  can be very rewarding too :)  Just not for me. 

CookieMom108

Answer by CookieMom108 at 8:54 PM on Feb. 23, 2011

• I currently work at one. Ive been there 6 yrs and worked at another one before that for 4 yrs.

Jx3sMami

Answer by Jx3sMami at 9:35 PM on Feb. 23, 2011

• I have worked in 5 different daycares over a span of 10 years. Some were really great and then were a couple that I couldn't just be there. And that was because of management / staff, not because of the kids. I now have an in-home daycare. I absolutely love my job. I have a degree in Early Childhood and could not imagine doing anything else. If you like working with kids and have a ton of patience then you will do fine. Sometimes though, you need to have just as much patients with the parents as you do with the kids :)
    JamieLK

Answer by JamieLK at 11:32 PM on Feb. 23, 2011

• First of all u have to answer this question do u like kids and how tolerable r u to them? I love kids and i have been around kids all my life. my parents are foster parents so i have had almost 40 brother and sisters and then i have worked at two different daycares. Just so u know every daycare is different and the operate different so that makes a difference wether u will like it, be treated right, and payed right. so therefore before taking this job make sure u like all those answers. anyways i would love to work at another daycare, I loved it, i started out as a floater/ cleaner, then went to 3-5 yr old assistant and then by the end i was Head of the Infants. i liked taking care of the infants best. hope this helps and good luck.
    brooklyndm

Answer by brooklyndm at 2:10 AM on Feb. 24, 2011