Dish washer detergent...if you've run out...is there a substitute that works well?

Other than hand washing them,lol.

kimberlyinberea

Asked by kimberlyinberea at 5:45 PM on Feb. 23, 2011 in Home & Garden

• Toss in about 2-3 Tablespoons of baking soda, 1 tablespoon of bleach, and 1/2 teaspoon of liquid dish soap. :)
    ObbyDobbie

Answer by ObbyDobbie at 5:47 PM on Feb. 23, 2011

• Whatever you do, I've always been told by licensed plumbers etc, never to use liquid dish soap OR any type of vinegar in the dishwasher as it will break it! So whatever you're told here, please check it out first with someone who really knows.
    prettyinink2011

Answer by prettyinink2011 at 5:48 PM on Feb. 23, 2011

• We ran out of dishwasher soap once (when I was probably 13-14) and I used liquid dish soap - DO NOT DO THIS LOL it will flood the dishwasher with suds, and these suds will then pour into the kitchen and spread all over the floor. While hilarious, it's not a mistake I'll be repeating :) it didn't break the dishwasher or anything, just got suds all over the kitchen.
    hippomom1919

Answer by hippomom1919 at 5:53 PM on Feb. 23, 2011

• OMFG, my daughter loaded the dishwasher about 6 months ago and put liquid dish detergent in it. I mean, maybe over a cup of it. I was up to my eyeballs in suds.

Not to be a twitch, but vinegar will not break your dishwasher, nor will small amounts of liquid dish soap.
    ObbyDobbie

Answer by ObbyDobbie at 6:33 PM on Feb. 23, 2011

• ive done that to hippomom. and once it was done i had to clean the kithen floor but at least i got the dishes done and a clean floor.lol.
    leeandbaby

Answer by leeandbaby at 7:17 PM on Feb. 23, 2011

• I've done that too hippomom,lol
    kimberlyinberea

Comment by kimberlyinberea (original poster) at 6:14 PM on Feb. 23, 2011

• omg obbydobbie...over a CUP of dish soap??? You are not lyin! I bet you were really up to your eyeballs in suds! haha..its crazy how that happens...and funny that a lot of us have learned the hard way not to do it! lol
    But yeah..I've got your recipe going in the dishwasher...so far so good...seems to be working! Thankyou!
    kimberlyinberea

Comment by kimberlyinberea (original poster) at 6:40 PM on Feb. 23, 2011