Does anyone know a good workout for asthmatics that want to lose weight?

I was stick thin up until middle school, then my activity level came to a brake slamming hault because of school stress, losing friends, and all the normal changes a pre-teen goes through and apparently my parents weren't concerned enough to care that I no longer went out to play or for hikes or anything like that. So I'm 24 now have struggled with my weight for roughly 13 years - I have two daughters and while my 5 year old is stick thin and very active like I was my 6 year old has more of an average body frame and curves and she is paranoid about getting fat. I want to look better for my kids, and myself, and be able to work myself up to be able to keep up with them. As I mentioned in the question I am asthmatic, I have been all my life but its worse because of the weight. I can't run or jog without having an attack but I walk 2 1/2 miles a week to pick my 5 year old up from school, we play lots of games that include being active and for the most part I can handle that but eventually it does trigger my asthma. We also take the dogs for walks when its not too cold and I did lose weight but now I'm stuck at the same weight. I need to boost my activity level to continue losing the weight but I don't have many options and I don't want to push myself into a major attack (I was in the hospital twice in the last 6 months with shallow breathing and dangerously low oxygen levels).

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 5:54 PM on Feb. 23, 2011 in Diet & Fitness

• Walk as much as you can, but don't push yourself to having an attack. Just gradually increase the amount that you walk. Also add in strength training because that will help build muscle and that will help you burn more fat. Watch what you eat and drink and stick to a healthy diet. Do you have a local pool where you could swim?
    Mrs.BAT

Answer by Mrs.BAT at 6:50 PM on Feb. 23, 2011

• Just dont push your self hard
    sstepph

Answer by sstepph at 8:46 AM on Mar. 3, 2011

• I think most things are OK in moderation. I have plenty of asthmatic friends taht do a lot of normal things but just really take good care of themselves and pay attention to their bodies.
    KTMOM

Answer by KTMOM at 3:43 PM on Mar. 4, 2011