different religions compare??

I was wondering if anyone knew of a website where you could see a kind of side by side comparison of what the different religions believe? Nothing really involved and technical just some simple key points. For instance...I think I was about 17 before I learned that people of the Jewish faith don't belive Jesus is the son of God (right?). I think it would be interesting to kind of see that sort of stuff. Like I am Catholic. We baptize at birth (original sin...see other post lol), You can't have communion till you go through first communion at about 3rd grade (you take sunday school classes to learn the importance of what you are accepting) and then in your teens you are Confirmed (kind of like baptized) once you understand what it's all about. I would genuinly like to hear how other religions appraoch this sort of thing....ceramonies ect..... any ideas?

momof030404

Asked by momof030404 at 3:41 PM on Nov. 19, 2008 in Religion & Beliefs

• ReneeK3

Answer by ReneeK3 at 4:46 PM on Nov. 19, 2008

• The problem with a site that lists all religions is that it is likely to be biased. Like that dumb capm site. Your best bet is to visit independent sites run by each religion. That way you get an objective viewpoint of what these religions really believe.
    NightOwlMama

Answer by NightOwlMama at 3:44 PM on Nov. 19, 2008

• I really like www.religioustolerance.org. belief-net used to be awesome but now it's so full of ads it's difficult to navigate. Good luck!
    krisr169

Answer by krisr169 at 3:54 PM on Nov. 19, 2008

• Serafyna

Answer by Serafyna at 3:54 PM on Nov. 19, 2008

• Like the PP said, the official webisites of that religion might be the best place to look. For example, I'm LDS. (Church of Jesus Christ of Latter Day Saints =Mormon) and you can go to www.mormon.org to read all about us. There are also several groups right here at cafemom that you could join and ask that specific religion questions. The Religious Debate group is also a great place. They have a little outline of beliefs that have been submitted by members of specific religions. I've learned a lot about other faiths there.
    Nika75

Answer by Nika75 at 4:09 PM on Nov. 19, 2008

• Beliefnet.com is a good site, and I know there is a site called religioustolerance.org or something similar that gives an unbiased overview of many different faiths. I took a class in comparative religion when I was in university and it was a very positive experience because I got an idea of what different faiths believe. A lot of people really don't know the beliefs of others or have misconceptions that are incorrect. I think it's great that you want to find out more info on what people believe and why!
    Freela

Answer by Freela at 6:04 PM on Nov. 19, 2008

• Well I can't tell you about any one else's faith or beliefs but I can share mine.....I don't know a sight.....I am nondenominational I believe that Jesus is the son of God that He came to save us from our sins that He was crucified under Pontius Pilot, was dead and buried and on the third day He rose again ascended into Heaven and is seated at the right hand of the Father...He will come again to Judge the living and the dead. I believe that the Holy Bible is the living Word of God and that we are saved by grace. If there is anything else feel free to ask...my life is an open book!

TalithaStarry

Answer by TalithaStarry at 6:26 PM on Nov. 19, 2008

• OH my dh is Catholic and I just think the reverence of God is beautiful...I so love Christmas mass.

TalithaStarry

Answer by TalithaStarry at 6:31 PM on Nov. 19, 2008

• Not to hog space but also I think we could all learn from each other I do believe that in the end we are going to need one another more than ever!

TalithaStarry

Answer by TalithaStarry at 6:33 PM on Nov. 19, 2008

• This is a good site for paganism http://www.spiralgoddess.com/Pagan101.html (plus the music on the site made my cranky baby happy woot).
    NightOwlMama

Answer by NightOwlMama at 2:55 PM on Nov. 20, 2008