How can I help my 4 year old with preschool work

DS is currently in preschool (he is 4) and they are starting to work on writing letters and letter/number recognition. Well in school he just refuses to even try. They send home blank sheets (for writing the letter of the day) and say he just kind of spaces. He plays with his pencil and looks around. His teacher also said he is not paying attention when she is trying to teach. Says he isn't disruptive but is just staring and looking around. Its like he is completely not interested at all. We have been working on his writing letters at home and if we stay on him he will do it and does a fairly good job for being 4 and just learning. Also his teacher said he could only recognize the letter O. She said she knows he knows more than what he is showing. How can I help him brake out of this "shell" ? I am concerned because he turns 5 this year and will be doing kindergarten testing. Anyone know what is gone over for the kindergarten testing?

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 6:09 PM on Feb. 23, 2011 in Preschoolers (3-4)

• I suggest The Letter Factory DVD by Leap Frog, and www.starfall.com. Starfall is great, for you get a page with nothing but A-Z. Each letter you clikc on plays the sound, and goes through a mini activity. To your son it would be a fun computer game, TEACHING him at the same time. My DD LOVES it. The Letter Factory is a great DVD, which my 4 yo enjoys a lot as well.

KairisMama

Answer by KairisMama at 6:14 PM on Feb. 23, 2011

• click*****
    KairisMama

Answer by KairisMama at 6:15 PM on Feb. 23, 2011

• Thanks I will have to check out that website. What I don't get is he will write his letters at home but not at school
    Anonymous

Comment by Anonymous (original poster) at 6:58 PM on Feb. 23, 2011

• Talk to him and ask why he doesn't do them in school. He may just need more time to adjust
    elizabr

Answer by elizabr at 7:00 PM on Feb. 23, 2011

• He told me today when I picked him up that he didn't know how and that is why he wouldn't do anything. So I think part of it is confidence which I am trying to build him up at home. But I know the teachers at school are more than willing to help.
    Anonymous

Comment by Anonymous (original poster) at 7:04 PM on Feb. 23, 2011