I need potty training help!!!

I have a min-pin and a german shepard and their both puppies and the same age like 3 months old. My husband and i live in an apartment till april and he is gone 6am to 5pm every day. I only work wed thu and fri from 9 to 2 but usualy get off early.

I need help with how to potty train my two puppies fast because their accedents are getting old. We have kennels for both of them and i keep them in then when im at work and i take them out all of the time to potty, but sometimes they just dont go outside.

i am using pee pads but the shepard just chews them up and well the min pin does also.

how can i potty train them???? and how long does it take for them to learn

AliciaLamoreux

Asked by AliciaLamoreux at 6:12 PM on Feb. 23, 2011 in Pets

• i would look into ceasar milan books or dvds. he teaches all about training dogs and how to get them to be submissive to you. it's really helped with my chihuahua. things like:
    walk them everyday to get their energy out, but make sure they walk behind you, so show you are the pack leader.
    fordeeperroots

Answer by fordeeperroots at 7:16 PM on Feb. 23, 2011

• They are just now getting to an age where they can reliably "hold it" so be patient! I recommend crate training. When you wake in the morning take them outside right away. Give them 15 minutes or so to go, if they do not go potty put them back in the crate for 10 or 15 minutes, then back outside. Repeat this process until they go potty then give lots of praise. Feeding on a schedule will help as well. You will soon learn that if they eat at a certain time they will likely poop around the same times each day. My dogs eat at 7am and 7pm, they poop every morning and almost every night before bed. Good luck and congrats on the new pups!
    marshsmom

Answer by marshsmom at 10:47 PM on Feb. 23, 2011

• Actively train them while you're at home. When they need to go while you're at home, take them outside right away and once they're done, give them a treat and praise them. They'll soon start to associate peeing/pooping with being outside. Punishment doesn't work as well as gradual reinforcement because it can be confusing to them as to what they're being punished for. They could learn something totally unwanted, like not to pee in a certain area but thinking that another area of the house would be okay. Make sure you let them go out to potty before you leave the house and it might mean feeding them earlier so they won't need to go while you're gone. Also, be fair. Would you be okay holding it in for that many hours? It's not natural for dogs to hold it in for that long and having that kind of expectation is unrealistic. You may need to find a dog walker, like a trusted neighbor, for some days to let the dogs out.
    hellokittykat

Answer by hellokittykat at 12:54 AM on Feb. 24, 2011

• take them to the bathroom all the time. Play pee/poop and crate. That routine. After they eat and drink shortly there after they will need to go. Also shampoo your carpet with pet cleaner. The smell is in there and they see it as thier personal toilet. GL
    Baby4us09

Answer by Baby4us09 at 5:00 PM on Feb. 26, 2011