Is croup contagious to adults?

I have a newborn and a friend who has a child with croup who wants to visit (without her baby.) Is croup contagious to adults? Can the adult be a carrier?
My instincts tell me to play it safe and not let her come over.

sophiesmom07

Asked by sophiesmom07 at 6:12 PM on Feb. 23, 2011 in Babies (0-12 months)

• Croup is usually from a cold or something that messes with the airways a bit but affects children differently because their airways are smaller. If you get sick from it, it will only be something minor to you, not some major thing.
    Anonymous

• Anyone can be a carrier of anything. I would just wait until the child is better.

Answer by tyfry7496 at 7:35 PM on Feb. 23, 2011

• I might be wrong, but I don't think croup is contagious at all. It's inflammation of the vocal cords.
    Krysta622

Answer by Krysta622 at 9:52 PM on Feb. 23, 2011

• My son is 10 months old and had Croup a month ago. Croup IS highly contagious, your friend could very possibly have germs on her and bring it to your newborn. DONT have her over until he child is better. The younger they are the more serious it can be.
    wood1980

Answer by wood1980 at 10:03 PM on Feb. 23, 2011

• Sorry, I don't know where I got that from, I could have sworn I heard it somewhere.
    Krysta622

Answer by Krysta622 at 11:19 PM on Feb. 23, 2011