Should kids Be Allowed To Walk Dogs?

free1

Asked by free1 at 6:36 PM on Feb. 23, 2011 in Pets

• yes, but it might be hard if its a big dog. be with them when they do it just in case the dog tries to get away from them.
    jenn4443

Answer by jenn4443 at 6:37 PM on Feb. 23, 2011

• Yes. My 9 & 10 year old make money walking the neibors dogs.
    hotrodlassie

Answer by hotrodlassie at 6:38 PM on Feb. 23, 2011

• No.  Anytime I've ever seen a child walking a dog, they've been choking the crap out of them.  Not only that, even a very loving dog can turn vicious under the right circumstances.  I had a rottweiler who was extremely loving.  My neighbor would mess with her while she was outside though, being extremely mean and one time I was out walking her and that same neighbor walked by us.  I honestly feared for that womans life.  I was literally laying sideways to keep my dog off of her and she was still dragging me.  My children will not be allowed to walk any dog period.

MrsHouston47302

Answer by MrsHouston47302 at 6:39 PM on Feb. 23, 2011

• Depends on the age of the kids, and the size of the dog.... If they are responsible enough, and able to control the dog, I don't see why not.
    Anouck

Answer by Anouck at 6:41 PM on Feb. 23, 2011

• Yes, but a lot of it depends on if the kid is big enough and if the dog is not too big and if it is good on a leash or not.
    Tawneekitn

Answer by Tawneekitn at 6:42 PM on Feb. 23, 2011

• definetly
    Dianakk

Answer by Dianakk at 6:59 PM on Feb. 23, 2011

• Sure, as long as the kid is big enough to be able to reasonably control the dog, and mature enough to do so.
    SWasson

Answer by SWasson at 7:05 PM on Feb. 23, 2011

• My kids can walk our Pom because she isn't very strong. They can not walk the MinPin because she is too strong.
    matthewscandi

Answer by matthewscandi at 7:52 PM on Feb. 23, 2011

• yes, But I do think it depends on the dog and how well they are on leash. My daughter started walking our dogs when she was 4 years old. I got her a short leash to use with Our aussie and they had a great time. Nick was an awesome dog though. When Kylie would run down the street with him he would either walk or jog at her side and he never let her get to far from me. Every now and then I would have to tell Nick to stop but they never got to far ahead either. Nick would pay attention to where I was and would stop on his own and wait for me if he felt they were to far ahead.
    KyliesMom5

Answer by KyliesMom5 at 8:31 PM on Feb. 23, 2011

• Yes, but only after the dog has been taught proper leash etiquette. I also recommend using a muzzle leash which makes it uncomfortable for the dog to pull but not to walk. I also recommend the child be at least 5 for a medium sized dog or younger for a small dog like a Yorkie or Chihuahua. But you must be watching carefully at all times. You have to watch they don't pull or yank smaller dogs and that larger dogs don't start pulling them. Your dog may go after a squirell or start running after something at any moment and you have to be close enough to nab the lead before your child gets dragged. We taught our dogs not to pull when kids were walking them by walking them next to the stroller. This allows them to associate the child with a calm, relaxed walk. But YOU must teach the dog leash ettiquete before allowing your schildren to walk them.
    MamaStuart

Answer by MamaStuart at 10:01 PM on Feb. 23, 2011