Looking back....

Looking back, what are some of the things you misunderstood about Christian life and practice, things you were once adamant about but have since plastered over with grace?

popzaroo

Asked by popzaroo at 6:53 PM on Feb. 23, 2011 in Religion & Beliefs

• I used to think that God's main role and characteristic was that of Judge. I did not understand what "fearing God" really meant. I now undertand that God's main characteristic is Love and that he would much rather forgive and grant mercy and grace than punishment. That's what held be back for a long time. Once I grasped God's love, mercy and grace my whole world changed for the better!
    kittieashy

Answer by kittieashy at 12:36 PM on Feb. 24, 2011

• I miss understood at one time that we had to strive for freedom from sin but we do not.. we already have it for He died to make us free. I thought I had to work it out but it is already worked out by His death on the Cross. That was His gift of love and grace for us! Another one was for a long time I was taught that we are sinners.... saved by Grace. We were sinners before we accepted Jesus but became saints afterward. I found that by His grace we are no longer sinners but Children , saints, and daughters of the Most High. His grace and love made that possible for us all.
    Shaneagle777

Answer by Shaneagle777 at 8:29 PM on Feb. 23, 2011

• I never misunderstood any of it.
    Amaranth361

Answer by Amaranth361 at 7:42 PM on Feb. 23, 2011

• I don't think I ever had a misunderstanding, but as time goes on, I gain a deeper understanding...a more adult understanding, and a more adult faith.
    Anna92464

Answer by Anna92464 at 9:46 PM on Feb. 23, 2011

• i can't think of anything off hand..
    fordeeperroots

Answer by fordeeperroots at 7:14 PM on Feb. 23, 2011

• I guess I'm asking this from a legalistic standpoint. For example--there are churches around here that believe that if you are a woman, you must not cut your hair, you must not wear pants, you must not wear make-up...that sort of thing. Were there any traditions that you thought were from God that you were adamant about following, only to learn later on that that sort of thing wasn't necessary?
    popzaroo

Comment by popzaroo (original poster) at 11:34 PM on Feb. 23, 2011

• Nothing really. I think the only thing I misunderstood was that prayer works.
    jujubean1979200

Answer by jujubean1979200 at 7:34 AM on Feb. 24, 2011

• I'm an atheist because I understood it only TOO well!!
    witchqueen

Answer by witchqueen at 11:44 AM on Feb. 24, 2011