How far would you commute to bring your child to a private school daily?

I live in a small town where the public schools are pretty good,however my 7 year old daughter has had the worst school year ever. She has been bullied by several students on different occassions and I have noticed that her behavior has declined as well. I have talked to the school counselor about this,but in the end it is my child left feeling awful about herself. There is no private school closer than 35 miles away and I am considering moving her at the beginning of the next school year. I know that I can not run away from this,however I feel that a private school will be less likely to tolerate this type of bullying and negative behavior from the students that it accepts.

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 6:57 PM on Feb. 23, 2011 in School-Age Kids (5-8)

• As far as necessary....

Answer by older at 7:00 PM on Feb. 23, 2011

• Dont count on it- they want their $ too! I understand your concerns & your need to protect your dau., but I'm not sure if that is the ans. Why should she have to go? Why hasnt the school addressed the bullying issue better? What happens if she has a similar experience at the private school- then where do you go? Homeschool? There are no easy answers to this- but I'd be pressing the school she's in now to handle the bullies better. GL
    mrsmom110

Answer by mrsmom110 at 7:02 PM on Feb. 23, 2011

• Depends if I had a job or not. I would maybe find a job near the school if it was a good one
    mommy_of_two388

Answer by mommy_of_two388 at 7:06 PM on Feb. 23, 2011

• zero miles. I don't have a car. My kids take the bus to the school were zoned for and that is it. There are no other options for us. I went to Catholic school and was bullied and teased constantly in school. I was treated like dirt by my classmates and no one ever did anything about it (of course back then we were supposed to deal with it on our own and parents didn't get involved with every little spat the kids had) so just because it's a private school doesn't mean she won't be picked on.
    justanotherjen

Answer by justanotherjen at 7:50 PM on Feb. 23, 2011

• I know people who drove 45 min. each way to our school. It wore her down. After a few years she transferred her kids to public school near their house.

As for bullying issues, they exist in private schools too. Our school has had some problems and the way they were resolved were not always good for the bullied. One of DS1's friends was going to transfer out mid-year because of the bullying.
    balagan_imma

Answer by balagan_imma at 7:53 PM on Feb. 23, 2011

• We attend a private school five mintutes from our home. But I would drive longer, up to thirty or so minutes, if my child was in a situation where for her safety and mental Health were an issue. I would also consider moving as an option. My child's well being is a factor in where we live and what jobs we take.

frogdawg

Answer by frogdawg at 5:45 PM on Feb. 25, 2011

• On a realistic DAILY basis--up to 45 minutes each way.
    LoriKeet

Answer by LoriKeet at 9:56 AM on Feb. 26, 2011

• 0 miles. I don't like private schools.
    Pnukey

Answer by Pnukey at 8:16 PM on Mar. 1, 2011

• Where we live the public schools are disgusting I would go to Eden to get them in the right school!
    salexander

Answer by salexander at 12:35 PM on Mar. 2, 2011