Are men becoming obsolete?

Lionel Tiger's "Be My Valentine—With Back Up" (op-ed, Feb. 14) argues that "our system increasingly favors females" and that "men are becoming alienated from the means of reproduction." This would not be news to George Gilder, who warned of these calamitous outcomes in the 1970s and was pilloried for his trouble. Mr. Gilder predicted that as occupations and professions became dominated by women, men would abandon these fields rather than compete with women. Today men have virtually abandoned the liberal arts and veterinary studies to women, and college itself may not be far behind. Whether it's college or marriage, men are increasingly "opting out," as the few with resources practice "serial monogamy," while the excluded many retreat to their parents' basements to play video games. Research shows that young boys are struggling in school, but no one wants to admit that fatherless homes are the most predictive factor. Quoting Margaret Mead, Mr. Gilder argued persuasively that civilization itself depends on men buying into marriage and the long-term responsibilities of child rearing. When they do not, men tend to "regress" to the kind of hunting and gathering "live hard, die young" behavior that has produced the violence and rampant illegitimacy so destructive to our inner cities. Mr. Tiger is right. If the current trends continue, ever more women will be competing for a smaller pool of eligible "good men." This will leave behind a larger and larger pool of angry and bitter men "alienated from the means of reproduction" and unable to find a mate. August Turak

http://online.wsj.com/article/SB10001424052748704546704576150771593934488.html?mod=ITP_opinion_1

K ladies - don't kill the messenger, Turak's view certainly provokes thought ~

tasches

Asked by tasches at 7:04 PM on Feb. 23, 2011 in Relationships

• Gawd, makes men sound like a bunch of wimps, doesn't it? "I don't wanna play with women, I'm gonna go kick dirt instead". Oy.... Personally, I don't think I'd be attracted to men with that kind of mindset anyway.

Having said that, I know the pool of "good men" was seriously shallow during my dating years prior to meeting my husband, so I'm really not upset I don't have to deal with that anymore, heh.
    Anouck

Answer by Anouck at 7:07 PM on Feb. 23, 2011

• I don't buy it, that's circular logic and "if-then" thinking all tied up in a pretty bow there, and the argument fails to consider dozens of social factors that are also at play in modern society.
    The statement that "the system favors females" is patently untrue, in my opinion. Women still earn less than men do, there are more scholarship opportunites in general for men, certainly in the sciences, engineering and mathematics, and women are still considered to be the primary child caregivers. Men can shirk their responsibilities for child-rearing very easily and the child support system is a complete joke.
    I don't have enough room here to go on, but I do agree that it's food for thought, because I sat here and thought about it!
    Fistandantalus

Answer by Fistandantalus at 7:33 PM on Feb. 23, 2011