Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

1 Bump

Do you have to be married? PA lawyers?

If you want to terminate someone's parental rights, do you have to be remarried? My cousin wants to terminate her ex's rights to the son he hasn't seen in two years because her future husband wants to adopt him. The little boy already calls him daddy by his own choice at 3 1/2. Do they have to be married to terminate the ex's rights?

Answer Question

Asked by MamaStuart at 7:06 PM on Feb. 23, 2011 in Preschoolers (3-4)

Level 19 (8,209 Credits)
Answers (4)
  • No you don't have to be remarried but I think it will look better on them and might be approved if she was married at the time and said her new husband wants to adopt the child.

    Answer by mommy_of_two388 at 7:08 PM on Feb. 23, 2011

  • ~*Not in California*~... almost all family court houses have a section you can walk into and ask, while asking for the proper papers to file! The termination can be dealt with in the adoption, no need to be seperate

    Answer by MommaClark3 at 7:28 PM on Feb. 23, 2011

  • There has to be a step-parent who is willing to adopt so yes they would have to be married. A judge isn't going to leave a child fatherless. Does the ex pay child support? Child support counts as contact when you are trying to prove that the dad has abandoned the child.

    Answer by heatherann0221 at 8:01 PM on Feb. 23, 2011

  • He is supposed to pay child support but doesn't because his income isn't actually legal if you catch my drift. :\ And he's not fatherless. He picked this new guy more than his mom did. Kinda cute actually. :)

    Comment by MamaStuart (original poster) at 9:03 PM on Feb. 23, 2011

Join CafeMom now to contribute your answer and become part of our community. It's free and takes just a minute.