No nap time?

My three year old son stopped taking naps since he was around 2 years 3 months.. We used to give him one nap after lunch just for an hour or so and anytime we did he'd be up until 11- 12am at nights. He gave us horrible trouble so we took away his nap and now he goes to bed around 8 pm and gets up around 8am. I am alright with this but people are concerned that he does not get enough rest. He is fine however energy to burn. What do you think??

gutterflower585

Asked by gutterflower585 at 7:15 PM on Feb. 23, 2011 in Preschoolers (3-4)

• I think 12 hours is plenty.
    kitchenwitch78

Answer by kitchenwitch78 at 7:16 PM on Feb. 23, 2011

• My kid is the same way
    Patience909

Answer by Patience909 at 7:17 PM on Feb. 23, 2011

• you're doing just fine. My son runs on a similar schedule. Recent studies are showing that getting plenty of sleep at night ( ie >11 hrs) helps to reduce chance of child being overweight). Naps at this age often need to be eliminated for exactly the reason you mentioned. As long as it's working for you, go with it.
    momofryan07

Answer by momofryan07 at 7:19 PM on Feb. 23, 2011

• My DD is the exact same. Bed at 7:30 up at 7:30. 12 hours seems to suite her fine.
    But_Mommie

Answer by But_Mommie at 7:23 PM on Feb. 23, 2011

• ~*Smiles*~... wanna trade??? Joking of course!!!

My 3 and 5 year olds from about 9months old never took naps, than again they were walking that early too (one was nine months old and the other was nine and a half months old)!!! They never took naps, are to this day still awake past their bed times (in bed but still awake), and I am exhausted???
    MommaClark3

Answer by MommaClark3 at 7:23 PM on Feb. 23, 2011

• My two were exactly the same. Gave up their naps at age two and had plenty of energy!
    elizabr

Answer by elizabr at 7:29 PM on Feb. 23, 2011

• He is fine, my son stopped napping at 2 yrs old. Not all children need a lot of sleep.

Answer by tyfry7496 at 7:30 PM on Feb. 23, 2011

• Right now my 2 1/2 yo is napping only when she is going through a growth spurt. When she does nap it is 3-4 hours and when she doesn't nap I am ready to pull my hair out. Otherwise she is sleeping 12 hours a night. I think your LO is doing just fine.
    coala

Answer by coala at 7:41 PM on Feb. 23, 2011

• My 4 year old stopped consistently napping about a year ago. He probably gets about 11.5 hours of sleep a night. We do make him at least lay down for a rest in the afternoon, and his preschool does the same thing as well. Some days if he's tired enough, he'll sleep.
    Journey311

Answer by Journey311 at 7:48 PM on Feb. 23, 2011

• i think that is pretty normal for a young child if they are tired they will go to sleep or let you know they are getting sleepy..
    my son is 3 in a half and he still takes naps..
    he goes to school at 8:30am and gets home at 2:30 he doesnt really take naps at school unless hes had a bad nights sleep.
    he has chronic asthma so he's usually up thru out the nights..
    but after school if i have some errands left over that i have to runn he falls right asleep...
    and my children go to bed at 7pm as well.
    and wake up at 6:30
    japandamommy

Answer by japandamommy at 8:36 PM on Feb. 23, 2011