ipods and your kids' hearing

My 17 yr old always has her earbuds in and I've noticed how loud she NEEDS the tv to be...If I turn it down she tells me she can't hear it.
I'm from the walkman age wear headphones were used and now it's ear buds and they are used by kids of all ages. Are you concerned by the overuse of earbuds? Or the fact that some many young people today aren't happy with their music unless it's obnoxiously loud?
I'm beginning to think I should go into the hearing aid business, it's going to be a goldmine down the road!

wheresthewayout

Asked by wheresthewayout at 4:00 PM on Nov. 19, 2008 in General Parenting

• It certainly will be a booming business - well, it already is from all the people who have damaged their hearing already since the age of loud stereos and deafening concerts. I was never embarrassed to plug my ears in a movie or at fireworks displays, and I protected my children's ears, too - I was pretty fussy about it. The way I think about it is - when I am babysitting my grandkids, I want to be able to hear it if they start screaming out in the backyard. The rule of thumb is that if YOU can hear the music coming from your daughter's ear buds, then it is damaging her hearing. And deafness is NOT the main problem with hearing damage! Tinnitus - a relentless ringing or roaring noise starts up. William Shatner almost killed himself because it was so unbearable. Help your daughter learn about this and get her hearing tested. This is important !
    waldorfmom

Answer by waldorfmom at 4:10 PM on Nov. 19, 2008

• That is for sure, I do agree with you with the ear plugs today. I personally don't like them only because you can easily get so wrapped up with the music that you are not alert to what is around you. Now that is dangerous.
    I personally would use them on the treadmill. Not in public and that is just me I guess anything could happen I am too much of a chicken. I can image me jogging in the park and get jumped or run into somebody with my car or vise versa. or whatever. It is like the texting that is another story to talk about. It is fun but I would rather do without. stick to my old fashion stuff. But I do love my computer and some stuff technology came up with. I no TMI
    Butterfly1108

Answer by Butterfly1108 at 4:44 PM on Nov. 19, 2008

• YUP. it annoys the crap out of me and i'm 20. I cant go anywhere with my friends who are in the same age range. I'd rather talk with the music on a medium level... They'd rather blast it so loud you have a headache. This is why my friends are all 30+
    Sandiii

Answer by Sandiii at 4:59 PM on Nov. 19, 2008