I don't know what to do with her...

My daughter asks me to do things with her and I do. Tonight we went for a walk. It was going fine until she kept slapping me in the butt and then throwing things at my back. I said she needed to stop but she continued. When we got home I told her that she didn't need to act that way to get my attention. She ran away to the bathroom saying that I hate her. I don't know where that came from. Oh, she is almost 8 years old.

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 7:35 PM on Feb. 23, 2011 in School-Age Kids (5-8)

• if this is new behavior,I would question whether or not something is going on at school.
    calliesmommie

Answer by calliesmommie at 7:36 PM on Feb. 23, 2011

• What kind of dicipline do you use at home? I know for me, if my kid slapped my butt and threw things at me, the walk would be over and they would get a spanking when we got home. She is old enough to know better than to act like this. My 8year old ds would never do this and not expect to be punished.
    A.Perry

Answer by A.Perry at 7:38 PM on Feb. 23, 2011

• It sounds like she may have been trying to get you to "play back".... 8 year olds can be so emotional, I think maybe sit her down and talk to her to see "what's up" Just explain to her that you don't like it when someone does that to you, so she doesn't feel it's just her. My kids play like that with me all the time, some days, I don't want to play like that and I've had to set all four of them down and tell them, look when I say stop, i mean it....I haven't had a problem since...they are 14,13, and 5 and 6. Good Luck.
    kitchenwitch78

Answer by kitchenwitch78 at 7:45 PM on Feb. 23, 2011

• Wow. I would just sit down and explain to her boundaries. If someone ask you not to do somthing you must respect them and not do it. Ask her how she would feel if you did the same thing to her?
    sondaughter312

Answer by sondaughter312 at 8:01 PM on Feb. 23, 2011

• My daughter does this same thing....and she is only almost 7! It seems no matter what I say or do, I "hate her". I just try to wait until she calms down and then I do what sondaughter312 suggested. She knows that I love her, we have a very close loving family. It is just emotions and she is trying to figure out who she is. Plus add in all of the drama at school, others pointing out differences in other kids, her noticing her own differences. Ugh. I just try to stay as calm as possible (!) and work through it! Good luck to you and yours!
    khedy

Answer by khedy at 12:00 AM on Feb. 24, 2011

• Children need and love discipline/structure!
    Your dd is begging you to be her parent not her friend; imo
    BigMomm4

Answer by BigMomm4 at 11:51 PM on Feb. 24, 2011

• Talk to her and find out where she got that idea. Talk to her about the difference between good ideas and bad ideas. She may just be testing some boundaries.
    Pnukey

Answer by Pnukey at 8:15 PM on Mar. 1, 2011

• Drama Queen of manipulation! She is working you! Stand firm, she should not through things at you, and you should let her know that. My response...if they don't hate me, I am not doing my job lol. I am my kids parent, not their friend. I love them, spend time with them, but I will be darned if they will through crap at me, or sass me.
    salexander

Answer by salexander at 12:34 PM on Mar. 2, 2011