Can moms with children on all areas of the spectrum get along!?

Apparently not. Just got back from a meeting of local 'Spectrum Mom's' I left when this great debate started over verbal vs. non-verbal children. A mom was asking about the constant questions her DD ask and asked if it was normal and how to handle it because ti was driving her crazy. A few agreed and them this one mom said 'You should be happy she talks- I would give anything to hear my Son ask a question over and over.' Then it got bad and I left. Some support group huh? I wouldn't think that they needed separate groups but I guess they do... what do you think? Is this normal? I am new to this diagnosis.

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 7:37 PM on Feb. 23, 2011 in General Parenting

• Yeah,the gap between the two is pretty far.
    You'll still see the "my kid is better than yours because.." thing in autism groups

Answer by butterflyblue19 at 7:40 PM on Feb. 23, 2011

• Is "Spectrum Moms" meaning the autism spectrum? That's not something I know anything about but I thought this post was interesting and kind of sad. You'd think that people would be able to support and see that just because one child has a certain advantage they might also have a different challenge... That's true of all kids and moms!
    angelmommy11

Answer by angelmommy11 at 7:44 PM on Feb. 23, 2011

• I have not seen that happen. Usually the moms with verbal kids are very sympathetic and sensitive to the moms with nonverbal kids. Their road is a much tougher one. And there, but for the grace of God, go I.
    Inloveagain

Answer by Inloveagain at 7:53 PM on Feb. 23, 2011

• I am thankful my child talks, i feel for those who children cannot. I do not understand the aspect of my child is better then yours. they all have issues and need understanding and loving attention.
    WildCat73

Answer by WildCat73 at 8:33 AM on Feb. 24, 2011

• No, not normal. I have a group of about 10 moms that I am friends with and we all have kids on the spectrum. We are extremely close, get together for lunch/dinner at least once/month and go to the beach together for a weekend each year. We have everything from a very high functioning full mainstreamed child to a totally non verbal child with severe behaviors and we all support each other where we are.

Answer by missanc at 9:01 AM on Feb. 24, 2011

• This reminds me of a time, not long after my ds was diagnosed. We were waiting on his speech therapist to come and get him and another mother of a child with autism was sitting there. She looked at my son and said "he speaks?" And I nodded. She then proceeded to tell me that if he spoke it's not really autism. And that I had no clue what it's like to have a "severely affected child". I didn't even bother to tell her he didn't speak until he was 5 and that even now at 9 he echoes more than he communicates. I have many friends now on all ranges of the spectrum, and no doubt our struggles are different. But they are struggles none the less.
    Austinsmom35

Answer by Austinsmom35 at 2:01 PM on Feb. 26, 2011