Any web designer moms? If so, how much do you charge and how??

How much do you charge to design a website for a person or business? And do you have a monthly or yearly price, or a one time fee?

If you don't design websites, how much would you pay for one? And would you prefer monthly, yearly or what?

MamiNlovinIt

Asked by MamiNlovinIt at 7:48 PM on Feb. 23, 2011 in Money & Work

• It depends on the project and who it's for. Typically in the $40/hr range, paid either on regular intervals or at specific milestones.
    coder_chick

Answer by coder_chick at 2:51 PM on Feb. 24, 2011

• Maybe this is a stupid question, but wouldn't someone just pay once for a webdesign?

Answer by rkoloms at 8:32 PM on Feb. 23, 2011

• That's what I was wondering, but what about maintenance? How would that factor in?
    MamiNlovinIt

Comment by MamiNlovinIt (original poster) at 8:36 PM on Feb. 23, 2011

• I've given up on web design. I actually tried to launch such a business. But I was unsuccessful for many reasons.

I used dreamweaver for my userside (I hand coded my JScript). I used Macromedia Flash which I hand coded the ActionScript. The Serverside script was hand coded PHP.

Hand coding was cheap, but was very time consuming. So I put in much more than I got out.
    I was very ambitious, so I took on project for close to (including) nothing. The client didn't take my work very seriously since he didn't have to pay. He eventually pulled the plug since he never got around to put in his inventory.
    Competition was too severe. Seems that every niece and nephew knew how to create sites. Plus, there were many user friendly interfaces that was free under 50MB.
    I lost money and my will to continue.
    BlueSaphire

Answer by BlueSaphire at 11:03 PM on Feb. 23, 2011

• You should do a web search and find out what business that do this service charge. It should be on their website.

If you are going to do maintainance, then, yes, you should charge for it. You time is valuable. Also, your customer should agree to all charges, in writing, before work begins.
    HotMama330

Answer by HotMama330 at 11:21 AM on Feb. 24, 2011