What do you do???

What do you do when you have a friend who seems down right rude with your children?
It's not so much what she says, but her facial expressions as they are walking away, or she'll almost cringe when they get close to her. It's bad enough that one of your children can't stand her because he says she's mean.
You have called her down a few times, but truly, I don't think she means to do it...and if she does she hides that she knows she's doing very well.
Yes, she does have a child of her own, if I would attempt (and I never never would) to treat her child the way she treats mine, we wouldn't be friends. I am going to have to deal with her for at least the next 6 years so I'm not trying to make an enemy....

So what would you do?

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 7:52 PM on Feb. 23, 2011 in General Parenting

• I would see her at times when the kids were not around and I would not see her too often.
    elizabr

Answer by elizabr at 7:58 PM on Feb. 23, 2011

• Id take the high road and ignore it. Let your kids know that she loves them and can just be that way. My SIL is the same way. God forbid I made an expression about her son shed get so defensive and be nasty. But she does it to dd all the time. Considering shes a girl she whines a lot and my SIL is not used to that. But she is also very jealous of dd because her brother is favored. So maybe youre friend is jealous. Not sure but just let her know how you feel and if you know that she truly doesnt mean anything by it then ignore it and accept that thats just the way she is
    Steph319

Answer by Steph319 at 8:01 PM on Feb. 23, 2011

• My brothers girlfriend isn't crazy about kids. She isn't disrespectful or mean so I let it go. My son has to learn that not everyone in the world thinks he's super cute and cool and he has to learn to cope with that fact of life.
    marshsmom

Answer by marshsmom at 10:41 PM on Feb. 23, 2011

• and by brother I mean dds dad (SIL's brother)
    Steph319

Answer by Steph319 at 8:02 PM on Feb. 23, 2011

• Honestly, I'd be offended, and I don't think I'd see that friend very much at all.
    lovingmy4babies

Answer by lovingmy4babies at 8:34 PM on Feb. 23, 2011

• I don't like kids. I love my daughter, but I don't really like other people's kids. Even my friends' kids. You could be talking about me for all I know. Though I have never been called out on it, so obviously I'm a better actor than your friend. Or else my friends don't call me out on it. I don't know. I do try to be nice, but sometimes kids are smarter than we give them credit for. Haha.
    Christina807

Answer by Christina807 at 12:16 AM on Feb. 24, 2011