Countering voter fatigue and voter apathy

We have been having a conversation in a neighborhood group about the horrid voter turnout yesterday - only 41% of registered voters bothered to vote for mayor and alderman.

Does anyone have any ideas on how to bring people back into the political process?

Asked by rkoloms at 7:58 PM on Feb. 23, 2011 in Politics & Current Events

• I dont but I wish i did! I have friebds who call me at election time to ask me who to vote for! I say well THIS guy stand for THIS and THAT guy stands for THAT..but OMG it makes me crazy! I am in AWE of the number of people I have spoken to who have NO IDEA what is going on in WI! If you find a way I would love to hear it!
    momof030404

Answer by momof030404 at 8:05 PM on Feb. 23, 2011

• Seriously?! I think if EVERYONE paid income taxes (and didn't get full refunds and then some), suddenly half of the country who are eligible to vote would take an interest!!

It's the age old question..."what's in it for me?" :o)
    LoriKeet

Answer by LoriKeet at 8:09 PM on Feb. 23, 2011

• I'm with momo, good heavens, I am astounded at people who are not happy, but stay uninvolved, they just can't be bothered, no time.
    It is infuriating!
    agentwanda

Answer by agentwanda at 8:11 PM on Feb. 23, 2011

• bump

What Lori said!!!

agentwanda

Answer by agentwanda at 8:12 PM on Feb. 23, 2011

• I listen to so many people who say they don't know anything about politics, don't care about politics, don't know what is going on, don't watch the news (well...ok), and I just want to yell at them. How can you not care what is going on in your country?! It effect you! How can you just sit idly by and do nothing?! Become aware and stop ruining for the rest of us by your inaction. Something done is always better than nothing done. Now, how to get these people involved......it will take something very personal. Then they will want to jump in. Fine with me!
    jesse123456

Answer by jesse123456 at 8:39 PM on Feb. 23, 2011

• The system is broken....I think some might  become apathetic when they connect the dots. At his point, my vote is all I have, so I'll continue to stay involved, even though it appears that NO ONE in the government is listening!

I can appreciate why the TPM started-

Sisteract

Answer by Sisteract at 9:04 PM on Feb. 23, 2011

• I was born in 1928, It has been this way ever since I can remember. You can't force people to vote.

Natesmom507

Answer by Natesmom507 at 10:15 PM on Feb. 23, 2011

• People over the years have become dilusional to the fact that their vote doesn't count, so why bother? Natesmom is right, you can't force people to vote but I know how to shut them up when they start complaing about our politicians. I ask them, “Did you vote?” Most of the time they say no, I say you can't complain to me then.
    Kathy675

Answer by Kathy675 at 10:30 PM on Feb. 23, 2011

• I don't want to force people to vote, that would be a disaster. The average CafeMom member knows more about the cast of Teen mom, then they do about their Congressional representatives. It is just so sad...

Comment by rkoloms (original poster) at 10:33 PM on Feb. 23, 2011

• You're right OP, it's not only sad but embarrassing to our country. Where's the American pride. I taught both of my boys about the importance of voting and to start small and work on learning about the candidates in our community and on to the bigger picture. Take pride in your country and share your voice. That's why we have freedom of speech.
    Kathy675

Answer by Kathy675 at 10:39 PM on Feb. 23, 2011