Is it possible to teach a 7 year old this

responsability an accountability? If I give my son an important paper to take to school have signed and bring it back and he looses it (he has lost money an other important things in the past) is it too strict of me to make it HIS own responsibility to get another paper or find the one he lost?

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 4:10 PM on Nov. 19, 2008 in General Parenting

• at that age, i think so. that's why most teachers, if they have a note they need to be sent home, if they dont' have a folder, they will safety pin it to the child's shirt or bookbag.
    armywife43

Answer by armywife43 at 4:14 PM on Nov. 19, 2008

• If you want the paper to get to the teacher/school. You might want to bring it your self.

Answer by louise2 at 4:15 PM on Nov. 19, 2008

• No, it is not too strict of you. He is definitley old enough to have responsibility for things like you mentioned. I have worked in the schools for over 8 years. Kindergarten-6th grade. I spent most of my time in 1st -3rd grade classes. Kids that age are totally able to keep track of things like that. It's never too young to teach and enforce responsibility.

Kids will be kids however and it's one thing to lose something accidentally and another to carelessly neglect something. You know your child and can determine what's going on here. If it's something that happens a lot, I'd say he's just being neglectful and needs to learn that losing important things has it's consequences.

Good luck!
    Nika75

Answer by Nika75 at 4:16 PM on Nov. 19, 2008

• within reason, if it involves school i would give the teacher a heads up.
    myboogiewoogie

Answer by myboogiewoogie at 4:17 PM on Nov. 19, 2008

• I think it is fair to make him responsible at 7. My SD is almost 8 and we hold her accountable for her actions. If she forgets her spelling words, she has to call her friend to get them and if she breaks something of her sister's she has to pay for it out of her allowance (unless it was a true accident) I don't think kids are ever too young to learn responsibility.

sadfairytale

Answer by sadfairytale at 4:17 PM on Nov. 19, 2008

• I don't think you are being too strict. I sometimes feel guilty for making my three year old pick up his own toys, but they have to learn responsibility somehow and the longer you wait to teach him this the harder it will be for him to learn.
    pressley5604

Answer by pressley5604 at 4:22 PM on Nov. 19, 2008

• I intentionally gave him that responsibility. They have folders they bring home and return everyday so I assumed he is used to the routine so he should be able to return the paper back in his folder at the end of the day. So it wasn't something TOTALLY out of the ordinary for him.
    Anonymous

• Give him another chance but don't give him something important like carry money on him.
    Give something that will make him feel like it is important to him. GL
    Butterfly1108

Answer by Butterfly1108 at 4:36 PM on Nov. 19, 2008

• Well then why are you asking this Question then

Anonymous

• there is one in every post, how annoying. Thanks for your input ladies (with real info).
    Anonymous