IF you have Thalassemia....

.... did it affect your baby?  I'm not talking about  iron deficiency anemia.  Thalassemia is also sometimes called Mediterranean or Cooley's (not sure of the spelling on that) Anemia.  It's chronic, so you would have has this your entire life. 

If you have this, how did it affect you and did it affect your baby/child?   The effects of having such a low hemoglobin might cause slight-to-moderate developmental delay in the child. 

I'm just wondering if any Moms out there have this condition, and what effect (if any) it has had on your baby.

CookieMom108

Asked by CookieMom108 at 8:20 PM on Feb. 23, 2011 in Health

• I have this, and it had no effect on my children....Although I was anemic and doubled up on iron throughout my pregnancies, I wasn't diagnosed until after my 3rd child was born....None of my kids had any sort of developmental delays...
    Anonymous

• That's intersting.  All the iron in the world would not help me, and when I was younger made me quite sick until I was properly diagnosed.  There are 2,  A and B.  Or major and minor.  I'm guessing we have different ones :)  I completely forgot about that.

Thanks for the input! 

CookieMom108

Comment by CookieMom108 (original poster) at 8:34 PM on Feb. 23, 2011

• No negative effects on either of my children.
    devonNjaedon

Answer by devonNjaedon at 12:51 AM on Mar. 31, 2011

• Im surprised about the other answer tho, because with this you cannot add additional Iron...it's very dangerous to do so as most of us cant process the irom anyways. It can cause organ failure.
    devonNjaedon

Answer by devonNjaedon at 12:52 AM on Mar. 31, 2011

• I agree.  Must have been a different form of anemia.  Many people don't realize thalessemia is NOT iron deficieny anemia.  Some doctors also!  I had to be the one to tell them, NO IRON!

Thanks for the reply.  I worry about some little quirks my son has.

CookieMom108

Comment by CookieMom108 (original poster) at 8:27 AM on Mar. 31, 2011