Question for former Christians who are now atheist...

I have been wondering about something. When you were a Christian, did you actually have a relationship with Jesus (or believe that you did)? Did you ever really hear His voice in your heart?

Please, everyone, I want people to be able to answer this without fear of being bashed or ridiculed. I'm just trying to understand how someone could truly know Him and then turn away.

Iamgr8teful

Asked by Iamgr8teful at 8:21 PM on Feb. 23, 2011 in Religion & Beliefs

• It is not a matter of turning away from god or Jesus it is a matter of not being able to believe. I did at one point believe with my whole heart, but I use to believe in a lot of things. It just stopped making sense to me. I never once decided to turn my back on anything. I just stopped believing. To turn my back on god would mean I still believed in god. Does that make sense?

Alanaplus3

Answer by Alanaplus3 at 8:25 PM on Feb. 23, 2011

• I was raised Catholic and am not so much atheist, more agnostic. No one (meaning the nuns and priests) could ever answer my questions.  I was just told to believe, not question.  Now I have my own beliefs and am spiritual, but not in the way of any one organized religion.

CookieMom108

Answer by CookieMom108 at 8:26 PM on Feb. 23, 2011

• You fail to realize that it is not a matter of 'knowing', but the fact that most of us simply could not believe. This is particularly true of those who were raised in christian homes, we simply never have, and were forced into a life of lip service.
    ObbyDobbie

Answer by ObbyDobbie at 8:38 PM on Feb. 23, 2011

• I was raised Christian. Nope...i never believed. Even as a young child, I knew it wasn't what my heart spoke to me. While I didn't hear Jesus' voice speak to me...I most certainly heard the voice of the wind and the trees and the stars and the moon speak to me.
    sahmamax2

Answer by sahmamax2 at 8:50 PM on Feb. 23, 2011

• I believed whole heartedly as a teen that God and Jesus loved me. That belief brought a lot of comfort to me, and most everyone I knew believed the same. I was pretty insecure about myself, so it eased me to know someone so great could find me significant.

Bottom line, once I outgrew those insecurities and looked at religion from a scientific and logical mind frame, I could no longer hold the idea that there ever was a god at all. There are countless thousands of religions in mankind's history, so how could I pinpoint just one and know it to be truth? It took a number of years to come to this point, and I don't regret believing what I used to or where I am now.

I didn't turn away from God. I just stopped believing there ever was one like I was raised to believe.
    anng.atlanta

Answer by anng.atlanta at 9:40 PM on Feb. 23, 2011

• I realy thought I had a good relationship. If God would have talked to me just once I might still be a believer. Unfortunately, I had more questions than I had answers. It's hard to say one specific thing made me atheist. There are so many many reasons why I am where I am now. At least now I am content with things as they are and I am happy.
    2autisticsmom

Answer by 2autisticsmom at 9:49 PM on Feb. 23, 2011

• Even as a child, I really had a hard time with God as a personified deity.God as a 'person' with likes and dislikes, a temper, moods, feelings...I felt that, if there was a God, God couldn't have a 'side' or a 'perspective' that favoured one thing over another. If there was a God, he had to be... everything, and thus not any one thing. I strove to be Christian because it was what I had been exposed to. I very much loved and related to the teachings of Jesus- I still do. I just came to realize that I didn't 'believe' in the way that passed the entrance exam for mainstream Christianity. I didn't believe in the literal divinity of Jesus... not any moreso than the rest of us being the 'children of God.' I didn't believe in the literal nature of the resurrection story. I didn't believe in a monotheistic God. Jesus was never something I turned from... but I couldn't buy into the dogma. I just never believed.
    Freela

Answer by Freela at 9:53 PM on Feb. 23, 2011

• Sure, I believed all that.
    There just came a time when I stepped back and looked at it from a different perspective. I saw the way many Christians treat others (I mean, this site is an EXCELLENT point on that...) and realized that there was a lot of hypocrisy in the believers. (Not all! Don't take it that way, Christian friends.) Then I got to thinking on how the religion itself seemed pretty.... cultish?... to me anymore. "Do this or be damned!" "Think like me or it's hellfire for you!" "Here, let me beat you upside the head with the bible and try to forcefully convert you to our beliefs!"
    You know. That sort of thing.
    Again- Not all Christians are that way, but even the best of them have to admit there are a lot of the worst of them.
    So. My eyes have been opened on a different scene, and I can't unsee it.
    I'm not atheist, but I've found that paganism makes the most sense to my mind and my heart.
    Good question, by the way.
    SpaceToast

Answer by SpaceToast at 8:55 PM on Feb. 23, 2011

• No. I was raised Methodist, went to Sunday school, got confirmed and all that. After 8th grade confirmation I didn't go back to church until I was going to get married, thought it was important to have a church wedding. Went somewhat regularly in the year leading up to the wedding, stopped after the wedding. Got divorced. Got married again and same thing, thought it was important to be married in a church. Went fairly regularly until the wedding, stopped completely less than a year after. Bottom line, I have never ever felt comfortable during a church service. Its over the top and weird, and I've tried Methodist, Catholic and Presbyterian churches, the latter being very liberal and the least uncomfortable for me. I don't think I am Atheist, I think I am anti-organized religion, more of an open minded Agnostic, and I feel my relationship with God, if I have one, is personal. Church is not for me.
    gramsmom

Answer by gramsmom at 9:06 PM on Feb. 23, 2011

• I am like many others here but I am not really atheist. Something in me just couldn't put the pieces together. I think like a puzzle solver and love researching different faiths and cultures but even though I can see the common grounds...it is all very explainable to me. I was forced to believe and go somewhere that I didn't feel comfortable in. I won't do it to my kids. Sure if they ask we talk about it but shoving it down their throat won't win them over you know?
    jujubean1979200

Answer by jujubean1979200 at 9:39 PM on Feb. 23, 2011