What is the best way to put a newborn to sleep?

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 4:17 PM on Nov. 19, 2008 in Babies (0-12 months)

• ON IT'S BACK.

Answer by louise2 at 4:18 PM on Nov. 19, 2008

• It depends on you, your baby, and your parenting style!

For the whole first month she slept with us, and most of the time when she took naps I did too, so cuddling was the best option there!
    From 2-3 months if she was really fussy and not going to sleep/fighting her naps, her swing was amazing!
    From then on it has been swaddling all the way! (Wrapping her up tight with her arms inside the blanket so she does not startle herself/keep herself awake with her flailing hands)
    CarolynBarnett

Answer by CarolynBarnett at 4:19 PM on Nov. 19, 2008

• NEVER ON ITS BELLY, OR YOU CAN TRY PUTTING THE CHILD NEXT TO THE WASHER OR DRYER OR ON IT BUT DON'T LEAVE THE CHILD UNATTENDED. THEY SEEM TO LIKE THAT VIBRATING SOUND OR FEEL. GL
    Butterfly1108

Answer by Butterfly1108 at 4:21 PM on Nov. 19, 2008

• Always asleep on their back.
    Southerncharmes

Answer by Southerncharmes at 4:26 PM on Nov. 19, 2008

• On their back, swaddled. As comfy and cozy as you can get them!
    LovinMyMikayla

Answer by LovinMyMikayla at 5:45 PM on Nov. 19, 2008

• I carried my son around for the first 6 months. If he was sleeping he was always laying on me or my boyfriend or my dad or someone!
    keyaziz

Answer by keyaziz at 5:55 PM on Nov. 19, 2008

• I never understood why they want you to sleep a newborn on their back...I am sorry but newborns tend to spit up a lot and what happens to that spit up when they are on their back? It goes right into their wind pipe and can cause them to choke or suffocate. Get a side sleeper. They are very cheap and at least if they spit up it will come out the side of their mouths.
    imtheonlysane1

Answer by imtheonlysane1 at 5:58 PM on Nov. 19, 2008

• laying next to them, asleep, with your nipple in their mouth!
    TanyaR1024

Answer by TanyaR1024 at 6:28 PM on Nov. 19, 2008

• What TanyaR1024 said! Nurse them to sleep, and if you are laying down already then you can sleep too!
    maggiemom2000

Answer by maggiemom2000 at 7:50 PM on Nov. 19, 2008

• swaddling...preferably with a miracle blanket. My daughter slept through the night at 2 weeks old for 12 hours at a time. If you are having trouble, get the happiest baby on the block DVD... the 5 S's work. My doula uses them regularly & has success.
    fayesmommy

Answer by fayesmommy at 8:14 PM on Nov. 19, 2008