how can I make my son stop gagging himself

Its really sick,especially when he vomits.

4four

Asked by 4four at 4:18 PM on Nov. 19, 2008 in Toddlers (1-2)

• my son still does it sometimes and he's 2 1/2. it used to only happen when he would cry really hard. he was about 1 when he did it for the first time. now, he will barely be crying and automatically start to make himself gag. i have no idea how to make him stop. we've tried calmly telling him not to do it, yelling, timeout.. nothing yet though.. sorry if this isn't help at all, lol. i'm just glad someone else can understand. i just hate seeing the "oh no, not my kid" look when I tell someone that he does this.
    JDanesMommy

Answer by JDanesMommy at 4:38 PM on Nov. 19, 2008

• My son does it too! he thinks it's fun or something but i just tell him that it's yucky and he will stop until the next time a day or so later. It's just a phase and will pass with time! soon enough they will find better things to do to occupy their time!
    mamad86

Answer by mamad86 at 4:48 PM on Nov. 19, 2008

• My son also does this. However he only seems to do it when he is bored, like in the highchair too long or in the vehicle. He also gags when i give him food he doesnt like, but who doesnt lol. I dont think there is much you can really do about it, but wait until he finds something else to amuse himself. My son finally quit but now he grabs his weiner all the time!
    lorfav

Answer by lorfav at 8:20 PM on Nov. 19, 2008

• Both of my boys went through this phase too. The worst was when my youngest would do it in the car while I was driving because it would freak me out thinking he was choking on something! I finally started ignoring it, at least when I knew they were just doing for attention and there was nothing wrong, and they both have quit doing it.
    mom2XandZ

Answer by mom2XandZ at 9:20 PM on Nov. 19, 2008

• Oh thank God! My 2 year old has been doing this for some time now. I thought, since he has speech and eating issues, it was due to one of those issues. Just an extention of his medical issues. But after reading your posts I want to do a little happy dance. What I noticed with my son is that he does it even more when I tell him to stop. Its like he does it to get a reaction out of me and thinks it is so funny. I panic and think he is choking, especially if I am driving. So I resolved to just not pay it any attention (making sure he is not choking first of course) and it has decreased considerably. He still does it time to time but it is not as much as before.
    frogdawg

Answer by frogdawg at 10:00 PM on Nov. 19, 2008