Why does bedtime have to be so hard every night?

We have the same routine from dinner time on. But yet my oldest screws around every night. We are on an hour now of out of bed out of bed out of bed. It gets so old. I wake him up at 7am and he naps at daycare just fine. He shouldn't be up and running to 9 at night. He is 2 1/2. I just don't get it. I lay him down and say Good Night, no long discussion. Same thing, take him back to bed, good night. And up he gets. Maybe when he is like 4 or 5 he will just go to bed.

2BlondeBabies

Asked by 2BlondeBabies at 8:29 PM on Feb. 23, 2011 in Toddlers (1-2)

• Keep doin what you're doin, mom.It will get better.They have sooo much energy, if only we could capture it in a bottle~! Mine is 5 and finally I can count on bed time being bed time. :)
    theirfuture152

Answer by theirfuture152 at 8:34 PM on Feb. 23, 2011

• Maybe it's time to ask how LONG he's napping at Daycare. Cutting out that nap might be a cranky transition for a bit..but it can sure make bedtime easier.
    GrnEyedGrandma

Answer by GrnEyedGrandma at 8:42 PM on Feb. 23, 2011

• He may be a bit young for this, but I took the stress out of bedtime by letting my DS "think" he was in control of the situation and wasn't missing out on anything.
    I told him he didn't have to go to sleep. He could sit on his bed and play with a toy or "read" a book, but could not get out of bed. He would always play for a few minutes and then fall asleep. He really thought he was kinda' getting away with something, and we had no battles.
    I think that typically, children don't want to go to sleep more than they don't want to go to bed, because they're afraid they're missing out on something.
    Like I said, he might be a bit young for it, but give it a try.

Good luck!!
    5150mama

Answer by 5150mama at 9:00 PM on Feb. 23, 2011

• I know bed times are difficult at our house too;) Our three year old daughter has cried every night about bedtime since she was 18months old. We let Leigha pick a book to read and that keeps her in bed. I watched one of the nanny shows where a couple was having this same problem. The nanny had the mom do exactly what you are doing. Saying its time for bed goodnight. Then the second time around she had her say its time for bed. The third time she was not to say anything to her child but to put him back to bed. they did this for several hours for the first few nights but eventually it worked. I hope you find something that works for you:)
    Momof2byGrace

Answer by Momof2byGrace at 12:01 PM on Feb. 24, 2011

• It does get better as they get older. Maybe not by 4 or 5, but def by 7-8. Hang in there!
    Inloveagain

Answer by Inloveagain at 8:34 PM on Feb. 23, 2011

• Try stopping the naps. I had to get my youngest to quit naps by about that age. It got to where when he'd get a nap in, he'd be up until midnight. No exaggeration... Midnight. No naps and he goes to bed usually without too much static.
    Warning, though: For the first few weeks, he'd be a bear about 6 or 7pm. I let it slide, because it was worth being able to go to bed at a decent hour, myself. After time he got used to it and does just fine now. He'll be 3 next month.
    None the less, keep up that routine, and keep trying. I hope you find something that works for you!
    SpaceToast

Answer by SpaceToast at 8:46 PM on Feb. 23, 2011

• I agree with the other mom about asking daycare are they getting their full naps. We don't have any problems putting our 2 year-old down to bed however she was waking up at 11PM every night. I posted my question on Cafe Mom and someone suggested I talk to daycare about her naps. Turns out her 2 one-hour naps were consistently being interrupted by another child so she wasn't really getting 2 one-hour naps. So of course she was not sleeping well at night. So now every day when either my husband or I pick up our daughter we always ask did she get both of her naps. Ever since we started asking daycare about her naps they make sure she gets her naps. Although it's only been a week she has been sleeping much better through the night again.
    Sniffles101

Answer by Sniffles101 at 9:47 PM on Feb. 23, 2011

• It may be time to get firm with him when he gets out of bed...Is it possible you are being too calm about this? Do you let him know that getting out of bed is not acceptable?
    Anna92464

Answer by Anna92464 at 12:14 AM on Feb. 24, 2011

• Not sure if any of you will return to this. But Anna, I am firm. The second time I told him next time he gets out of bed (he comes out of the room) he will get paddled. And I did it. But it didn't keep him in bed....he got out another few times. Then he finally just stayed in bed messing around about a half hour before he fell asleep. But the great news is .... He stayed in his bed ALL night. Usually at some point he crawls in bed with me. So I am happy about that. I may just let him start staying up a half hour after the baby??? IDK
    2BlondeBabies

Comment by 2BlondeBabies (original poster) at 8:18 AM on Feb. 24, 2011

• And I will deffinately try to give him a book to look at. He has a pillow pet and a mickey mouse doll. So he doesn't need a bed full of distractions in my opinion.
    2BlondeBabies

Comment by 2BlondeBabies (original poster) at 8:21 AM on Feb. 24, 2011