do you re-use the containers/jats your food comes in?

If you do how do you re-use them?
Just curious......
I live in a town that doesn't have recycling so I find different ways to re-use jars/containers.

wheresthewayout

Asked by wheresthewayout at 4:25 PM on Nov. 19, 2008 in Food & Drink

• We save some (not all!) of the cans that our veggies come in, I find them useful for things like arts and crafts.

We save some (but again not all) of the glass jars that have lids, and I use them for various things (pouring bacon grease into, storing home made jelly and sauces, etc.)
    CarolynBarnett

Answer by CarolynBarnett at 4:26 PM on Nov. 19, 2008

• Yep. I save some glass jars as i need them to put grease in.
    bizima4

Answer by bizima4 at 4:30 PM on Nov. 19, 2008

• well right now my daughter is on formula. i save the cans for like, crayons, cotton balls, coloring paper that's ripped out of the books, pon pons, feathers, scissors, you know, anything i scrapbook/craft with, ect. i save some boxes that i buy in bulk to store some crafts that my son has done.
    armywife43

Answer by armywife43 at 4:37 PM on Nov. 19, 2008

• We homeschool and I make a lot of things homemade, so I re-use a lot of the containers. I have 3 old Teriyaki bottles in my refrigerator that now contain my homemade salad dressings. I've been saving jelly jars for the kids butter making next week. Shoe boxes are another coveted item in my home.
    DawnA72

Answer by DawnA72 at 7:02 PM on Nov. 19, 2008

• These are great ideas!! all I have been doing is using old jars for holding treats or cereal and pasta (large pickle jars that are at walmart). Plastic containers are great for hubby for leftovers to take to work, I don't get annoyed if they don't come back, lol
    wheresthewayout

Answer by wheresthewayout at 12:02 AM on Nov. 20, 2008

• I re-use jars to store food I buy in bulk at the health food store. If the jar is stinky, I pour a vinegar-water mix in and let it sit for a few hours before running it through the dishwasher. My cupboard has jars of various kinds of rice, beans and lentils, dehydrated bean mixes (these are fabulous for Mexican nights! Low sodium, add hot water to make only as much as you need), a selection of flours, dried fruits, and probably more that I'm not remembering. These things all do better stored in airtight jars than in bags.
    OnePotMealsLady

Answer by OnePotMealsLady at 8:15 AM on Nov. 20, 2008

• When my boys were babies I would reuse the baby food containers (the plastic square ones with lids). I used them for fingers foods on the go, and many other things but my favorite thing was using them for my husband's tool box. Screws, bolts, etc. fit in them really well. The glass jars were better for this because they had less of a chance to pop open and they can be screwed to the bottom of a shelf making it easy to open and close and be out of the way.
    I like the new Kraft Mayo containers (the wide moouth rectanglular ones with flip lids) for markers, and craft things. And for storing those open snack packages that don't have reclosable ends.
    doublesmitty26

Answer by doublesmitty26 at 8:54 AM on Nov. 20, 2008