Do you know any adults who grew up in foster care?

What are they like now as adults? Personality wise?

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 8:41 PM on Feb. 23, 2011 in Relationships

• Honestly, I have known 4 adults who grew up in foster care. 2 were in and out of prison like a revolving door. They both seemed to have great difficulty letting people get close. Another was just mental. I thought she was a little whacky at first. It wasn't until I really got to know her to here of the abuses she had been through. She was in and out of mental health care for years. She took her own life. The fouth grew up to be a nice christian man. He has a good job, a wife, 3 kids and loves his foster parents. They never adopted him but kept him until he went to college. They still foster kids but they are "Mom and Dad" to him. I sure hope my experience isn't reflective of the system as a whole..but If I'm honest with myself I know the chances are that it is.
    GrnEyedGrandma

Answer by GrnEyedGrandma at 8:47 PM on Feb. 23, 2011

• Yes, I do.  She is one of the most wonderful, kind hearted, giving, gracious, friendly and compassionate individuals I have ever met.  She is also an addict.  Notice I didn't say BUT she is an addict, I said she is ALSO an addict.  Not sure why I needed to clarify that, I mean NO HARM, but I know how written text can be misunderstood.  Anyone can have addiction problems, regardless of how they were raised. 

CookieMom108

Answer by CookieMom108 at 8:51 PM on Feb. 23, 2011

• I was just wondering...there is a guy I'm interested in and he also seems interested, but seems like he may also have trouble letting me in.
    Anonymous

Comment by Anonymous (original poster) at 8:54 PM on Feb. 23, 2011

• Well goodluck! 

CookieMom108

Answer by CookieMom108 at 8:59 PM on Feb. 23, 2011

• I grow up in a foster home 7 years. You just need to tell the guy that you like that you care for him and if it takes time for him to understand that your for real, then if you think hes worth it then that is what you need to do and be there for him.I have been in five to seven foster homes. I am 47 and I have get these feelings that I will leave them before they leave me and it is rough to be that way but it can not be helped but if you have an inderstanding of what he might of went through then you may just be the one for him. Good luck.
    paurad

Answer by paurad at 11:37 PM on Feb. 23, 2011