Taking the "Binky" (pacifire) away from my 3yr old.

My son is almost 3 years old, and still demands his Binky at night. He will not go to bed w/out it, believe me I have tried taking it away. He screams for hours if I don't give it to him at night. Do you have any suggestions on how to take it away w/out him screaming all night?

bookay

Asked by bookay at 4:45 PM on Jul. 8, 2008 in Preschoolers (3-4)

• As the poster above said you can just snip the ends. I know a few friends it has worked for. My daughter though it didn't she just sucked on them anyways. She was 2 1/2ish when we finally got sick of it and just took them all and hid them, (just incase she freaked.) She went the first night with a lot of crying etc, but it got better every night. It took maybe 3-4 days for her to get over it. She sometimes still asks for them, but doesn't get upset about it. Goood Luck!
    kabbima

Answer by kabbima at 5:22 PM on Jul. 8, 2008

• A friend of mine was told to snip a hole in the end of all her son's binkies. It worked perfectly he thought they were "broken" and completely lost interest. He didn't get mad at his parents because they didn't actually take them away.

After about a month he found one she hadn't "broken" and was all excited. He ran up to her and said, "look Mommy, it's not broken!" So she took it and snipped it and gave it back to him. He said. "Oh it IS broken!" and that was the end of binkies in thier house!
    MAUREEN55

Answer by MAUREEN55 at 5:12 PM on Jul. 8, 2008

• What we did to get rid of the bottle or it could work for binky was take him to toyrus and let him pick out a good toy and then have him trade it for the toy we toke a box or whatver of all the binkies and then bought it with binkies i went to some one who was off duty and told them before hand.
    Patience1

Answer by Patience1 at 5:35 PM on Jul. 8, 2008

• My daughter did much the same as the hole thing. She cut the tip off and cut a little more off each day until Miss E didn't want them any more. Just took a few days.
    mimitothree

Answer by mimitothree at 6:33 PM on Jul. 8, 2008

• I had a time taking my sons pacy from him. What help us alot was when he attended daycare and they werent allowed. He didnt even think about it anymore.
    perfectkitten

Answer by perfectkitten at 9:57 PM on Jul. 8, 2008

• I cut the tip off of my daughters paci's and she did'nt like sucking on air so she pretty much gave up on them on her own.
    Anonymous

• I saw this on nanny911. the nanny put paci into an envelope in front of the child and told him that the paci fairy wanted her paci back because the paci was lost that paci needed to go home to paci's mommy and daddy's house, he was very sad, but he let her do it, the nanny let him watch her put the envelope in their mailbox and closed it. The next morning the nanny returned early in the morning and she put glitter stuff all over the mailbox and on the ground, took out the old envelope, hide it, and put the new envelope with whatever your child would like and went inside until the child wakes up, and let him go out there and check the mailbox, and bang surprise the child was so happy and he never asked about his paci again. thats what i saw and it worked. good luck. oh their was a note from paci's parents saying thank you for finding my paci.
    sora347

Answer by sora347 at 12:59 AM on Jul. 9, 2008

• It took me almost 3 weeks, but I finally just broke my son away from his binky. As many people have already mentioned, you can try cutting the tips off. I tried that but it didn't seem to have any affect on my son. Instead I went and bought a small jar of baby food that I knew my son didn't like. Everytime he would ask for his binky, I would dip it into the jar of baby food. Of course when it tasted nasty he would ask me to wash it off. So I let him watch my wash it off, then I quickly grabbed the jar of baby food and dunked the binky again (without him seeing) and gave it to him again. It took me about 3 weeks but it worked! I also got him to switch from bottles to sippy cups that way!
    missnikkums

Answer by missnikkums at 1:00 AM on Jul. 9, 2008