Hi I was thinking about adopting a dog...

I know that I would have to feed the dog and keep it healthy as if I were caring for my child. What I was wondering was how much would vet bills cost me for a healthy dog?

kina803

Asked by kina803 at 8:49 PM on Feb. 23, 2011 in Pets

• it all depends on how much the vet you go to charges for offie visits etc. all vets charge different fees
    jodi205

Answer by jodi205 at 8:51 PM on Feb. 23, 2011

• Count on a minimum of $300/year just to keep up on vaccines, heart worm medicine, flea and tick medicine, etc. And that's if he is healthy.
    Inloveagain

Answer by Inloveagain at 8:55 PM on Feb. 23, 2011

• oh I was trying to figure out how much it would cost to keep it up, I dont want to be one of those people who just get a pet for the spare of the moment. :)
    kina803

Comment by kina803 (original poster) at 8:55 PM on Feb. 23, 2011

• We just adopted a 5 month old puppy. The adoption and transport fee totalled $210...and this was for a mixed breed, I would think purebreeds are more. Also, if the dog is already spayed/neutered it will cost more as well, ours was too young. He was up to date on all shots when we got him and microchipped. We took him to the vet immediately after we got him and he got a check up and lymes disease vaccination, also they tested his stool, that appointment cost about $110. In about another 2 weeks or so he needs to be neutered...I don't know how much that costs yet, but I'm guessing anywhere from $150-$250. Ouch. Also, prior to bringing him home we bought good food for him, not the supermarket crap, toys, a bed, leash, collar, shampoo, brush, etc... that cost about $250. He also needs a monthly heartworm pill and once the weather warms up here, which will hopefully be in a couple weeks, he needs flea/tick treatment...cont.
    gramsmom

Answer by gramsmom at 8:55 PM on Feb. 23, 2011

• That is about $60 for a 4 month supply. Oh, and I can't forget the pigs tails and chew things I've bought for him since. Cha-ching. Its all worth it though, he's a sweetie =)
    gramsmom

Answer by gramsmom at 8:56 PM on Feb. 23, 2011

• i just spent $638 on presidents day. this is not a normal occurance though.
    melody77

Answer by melody77 at 9:06 PM on Feb. 23, 2011

• It really depends on the dog. If the dog does not have any healthy issues then you would be looking at the annual vet visit for vaccine, heartworm med and flea meds. That would be roughly 300 dollars but that also depends on the size of the dog (as far as meds go). Ig the dog has health problems or injuries happen that can be more.
    KyliesMom5

Answer by KyliesMom5 at 9:12 PM on Feb. 23, 2011

• My youngest dog cost me over $1000 just in his first year. But he was is horrible shape when he was found.
    KyliesMom5

Answer by KyliesMom5 at 9:13 PM on Feb. 23, 2011

• Plan on a few hundred dollars per year, plus occasional unexpected visits for illnesses or accidents. Also, depending on what kind of dog you get, you may need to factor in grooming expenses.
    Kudos to you for getting information first before jumping in~hope you get all the info you need to make a good decision about it :-)
    vicesix

Answer by vicesix at 9:15 PM on Feb. 23, 2011

• VCA Vets and/or hospital will give you a free first visit for your new pet. They are a National chain of vets. I've never had a problem with them either.

http://www.vcahospitals.com/

If you live in the Lynnwood, WA area I have a clinic to avoid like the plague.

Rosehawk

Answer by Rosehawk at 9:29 PM on Feb. 23, 2011