My almost 3 yr old wakes up 2-6 times a night???

Recently we had alot of changes happen. In October of last yr my husband went to California to clear his head and get things together. During that time I moved into my mother inlaws house because Im pregnant job was not working me and I could not simply afford anything. Since living here is our only option for now I have noticed he doesn't sleep at night. I have been told he has night terriers or he could be insecure or even jealous. I dont know what to do we are due to have our new baby anytime and I dont want to be waking up with 2 kids at night. Can you please help me with ideas or even tips and input. Thanks

AbbeyKAy

Asked by AbbeyKAy at 8:58 PM on Feb. 23, 2011 in Toddlers (1-2)

• My daughter had this same problem. Other than being calming and comforting when she woke up, but also being firm that she had to go back to sleep (in her own bed, always), I don't know what else to tell you. Eventually she just grew out of it. Good luck. :)
    Wandybrine

Answer by Wandybrine at 9:02 PM on Feb. 23, 2011

• i'm going through the exact same thing with my almost 3yo dd. She wakes up at least 2-3x a night crying hysterically out of nowhere. I think it could be night terrors, but i really have no clue. i also have a 10mo that wakes me up every hour, so i feel you about the loss of sleep from 2 sources. i wish i could help.

idk how to stop the waking, but since we got her a special teddy bear just for sleep, it soothes her & helps her fall back asleep faster. good luck mama. i feel your pain.
    rAbella

Answer by rAbella at 9:08 PM on Feb. 23, 2011

• It could be that he's just having bad dreams about his daddy leaving. That tends to be a big thing, especially at his age. Ask him what's wrong. If you think he's jealous, make it about him too. That's how my mom always did it. She constantly told us how she was going to need our help so much because we were going to be a big brother or sister, she would always let us feel her tummy when they kicked and she never said the baby or the new baby, it was always your little brother or sister. And then, when the baby was born, she was true to her word and had us helping all the time. She would have us hand her things when she was changing a diaper or ask us to sing to the baby and since I was older for our sister, I was allowed to feed her (supervised of course). Let him get involved with the pregnancy and caring for your second child as much as possible and he'll feel included and needed instead of replaced or jealous.
    MamaStuart

Answer by MamaStuart at 9:14 PM on Feb. 23, 2011

• i went through the same thing with my son. his donor left when he was 2 and it was really hard on him even though we don't realize it those little fellers are smart and know when things are going on even when we try to had it from them. The main thing that helped my ds was when we moved in with dh and he finally felt like he was stable. My kids don't do good with change and him having a consistant enviroment has really helped. it will get better
    MomaWeeks

Answer by MomaWeeks at 9:43 PM on Feb. 23, 2011

• I forgot to add daddy is back he was done for a little over a month...we also have an son who's going to be 5 and we did not have these problems with him. So this is all new to me. We will soon be moving into our own place with hopes that it will help the family get back to the way we were. I have included the boys in my pregnancy as much as possible, each of the boys take turns waking up Maddix and then giggling cause he has made my belly look like a mountains (they use cars on my belly). I will admit that we do call Maddix the new baby, and Xavier the almost 3 yr old was called "baby" by his daddy. To add to all the tension and such we have double the parenting...
    AbbeyKAy

Comment by AbbeyKAy (original poster) at 9:57 PM on Feb. 23, 2011