Ok so i groom dogs on the side....

i'm not licensed but i did have a few hrs training that i just didn't complete cause i moved to far away. so i groomed a schnauzer today and she was difficult when it came to her head and ears. i barely nicked her one ear then the other i nicked worse. i offered for him not to pay me but he did anyway. now if it were me i wouldn't be to upset cause i know it happens and i have done it before on my own dogs. i just want to know what others would think? would you be ok with it or angry? i feel so bad not cause of what he thinks of my grooming job but for the poor dog that i scared on my table. i'm for the comfort of the dog first above anything else. she never whined so it must of not been that bad.

melody77

Asked by melody77 at 9:04 PM on Feb. 23, 2011 in Pets

• My child had a hair stylist nick his ear once too. I paid and was understanding. I did not take him back to that salon, not because of the ear nick ironically, but because the hair cut was really crooked and bad. I talked to other moms who had really bad haircuts there as well, so it wasn't the accidental ear nick that kept me away.

This owner knows his dog can be tricky to handle around the head I would imagine he will be understand as long as you exhibited some remorse and concern, which you did.

Some people are very reactive and anything will set them off. Some who you least expect it from really have a temper and if their pet has the slightest problem they will fly off the handle. In this case, you are taking responsibility for the mistake, and it sounds like you had someone who was reasonable luckily.

Mistakes happen, so learn from it and just move forward, but this isn't something that should keep you up at night : )
    spottedpony

Answer by spottedpony at 11:36 PM on Feb. 23, 2011

• I guess it would depend on my dog, if I knew my dog was well behaved and this happened, I would think you weren't very skilled. If my dog was a pita, I might understand a bit more. I know that if you offered the grooming for free, I would have taken it. The fact that he insisted on paying tells me that maybe he knows his dog has a behavior problem?
    gramsmom

Answer by gramsmom at 9:08 PM on Feb. 23, 2011

• I mean no offense at all, but if I were to take my dogs to get groomed by someone running a business out of their own home (which I do, and she's great) then I wouldn't expect perfection. The woman who grooms my dogs does a good job and she does it for an extremely reasonable price, and that's why I use her. If she nicked my dogs ears, I would chalk it up to the fact that grooming is hard work, and dogs are squirmy. I would still pay her. So I think the guy should have still paid. It was nice of you to offer a freebie, tho. :)
    Wandybrine

Answer by Wandybrine at 9:08 PM on Feb. 23, 2011

• I work at a vets office and our groomer who is a trained professional nicks them once in a while. Shoot I had a hair dresser poke me behind the ear with scissors once when I was young because I was moving. It happens.
    But_Mommie

Answer by But_Mommie at 9:18 PM on Feb. 23, 2011

• Accidents Happen- as long as you were concerned for my dog i would not be upset & i would still pay you:) i just had a Really Bad Experience with my Groomer that i Trusted & Liked Alot- she was not not half as concerned as you seem; No Worries- i'm sure everything is fine with the dog & the owner!

daisyb

Answer by daisyb at 9:54 PM on Feb. 23, 2011

• I have a Cosmetology degree and two Miniature Schnauzers. :-).... These things happen. I give you credit. It is hard work and sometimes it is the mistakes which give us the best experience and lessons. Now everytime you see a Schnauzer-( for awhile) you will have a mini guilt trip. It will pass. I once was cutting a mans hair- his hair was very dark brown- I had the clippers running and didn't shut them off and then I took off the cape- The clipper wedged right into the back of the hair and a promintent line was there until it grew out- I also cut a notch into the back of my sons' ear once. I felt so bad. I have extremely sharp scissors. Poor kid had to wear a band aid. To this day he jokes about it. Soon you will look back on this and laugh.
    LeJane

Answer by LeJane at 9:56 PM on Feb. 23, 2011

• I couldn't do it.... With that said I am the pickiest person on the planet when it comes to having our dogs groomed, or so it seems. I can't ever find anyone that does a good job, and often thought I should try learning. I do their nails with no problems, but trimming them is so different with that noisy buzzer thing. I think you did the right thing offering for it to be free, what more could you have done? Don't feel bad, accidents happen, and I'm sure it was a learning experience.
    MrsLeftlane

Answer by MrsLeftlane at 11:35 PM on Feb. 23, 2011