Pertussis

DS has been home from school for a couple days with a slight fever, sore throat, coughing and sneezing. I assume he has a cold, no big deal. Well, I just got an e-mail from the principal of his school that a student at the school has been diagnosed with Pertussis, which is highly contagious.

Now I'm kinda' freaking out, wondering if that's what he has. Is there a blood test or something that will tell if that's what he has?

Ironically, I just got another e-mail from the school district, reminding parents about the new law, requiring all students entering 7th-12th school to have the immunization booster for Pertussis before entering this next school year. Hmmmmmm

I'll call his doctor in the morning and see what is recommended, but I was wondering if anyone else has had an older child come down with Pertussis and what should I expect/do?

5150mama

Asked by 5150mama at 9:08 PM on Feb. 23, 2011 in Teens (13-17)

• If it's going around your community and they're hoping to stop it, they'll quarantine him. It's the one that is safe (and annoying) in older kids and deadly for babies under 6 months.

It's also called the 100-day cough, and a lot of kids who get it lose weight, sometimes break ribs or throw up from the coughing, or have a lot of trouble sleeping. It's not bacteria, so the only reason for antibiotics is a secondary infection, which doesn't happen much in older kids.
    LindaClement

Answer by LindaClement at 9:13 PM on Feb. 23, 2011

• But how do they know for sure if that's what it is??

How long are they contagious and need to be quarantined?

Geez! He can't afford to lose any weight. He's 17 1/2 and barely weighs 100 lbs. (He was 4 mths. preemie and weighed only 1.lb/9 ozs at birth)
    5150mama

Comment by 5150mama (original poster) at 9:28 PM on Feb. 23, 2011

• Has he been immunized at all?? Then he is probably okay.
    twinsplus2more

Answer by twinsplus2more at 11:13 PM on Feb. 23, 2011

• Yes, I immunized my son so something like this is less likely to happen. Instead of asking what to do and how it's is diagnosed, CALL THE DOCTOR!!! The ONLY way to get ACCURATE info is to call the doctor. Seeing your son was preemie and is so small, it may affect him worse than other kids.

Answer by tyfry7496 at 11:19 PM on Feb. 23, 2011

• I will certainly be calling the doctor first thing in the morning. I was just hoping someone could put my mind at ease tonight. Yes, he was immunized against it before starting Kindergarten, as is required and all children should be. This booster shot is something new and they have only started requiring it this year, so I thought we were okay. It's been on the news the past couple days, saying that there seems to be an influx in cases in our area. If it turns out that he does not have it, I will definitely have the doctor give him the booster shot on the spot.

Thank you for your responses

5150mama

Comment by 5150mama (original poster) at 2:17 AM on Feb. 24, 2011

• I know that the kids that were infected in our area were ones that had not been immunized.
    twinsplus2more

Answer by twinsplus2more at 4:44 PM on Feb. 24, 2011

• Just back from the doctor,.....so far, no sign of Pertussis, but he gave him a prescription for a very strong cough medicine that will certainly knock him out, and told me what to look for.

Phew!!!!!

Thanks again for your input
    5150mama

Comment by 5150mama (original poster) at 12:54 AM on Feb. 25, 2011