How do you make shepreds pie?

i have never made in before and I have never had it before, but I want to try to make it. The one I got online is poor mans shephereds pie. You use1lb ground beef, 1 can peas, 1 can corn, 1.3 cup sugar, 8 medium potatoes, 2 cups shredded cheese. How do you make yours? Also if I chose to mat like this I don't have peas, but I have green beans can I use that instead? Also instead of sharp chedder cheese I have shredded cheese that is mixed it is yellow cheese and mozz cheese can I use that instead? Thanks!

mommy5409

Asked by mommy5409 at 9:12 PM on Feb. 23, 2011 in Food & Drink

• mashed potatoes on the bottom topped with a combination of ground beef, carrots and HP sauce that has been sauteed together then topped with cheese before baking.
    But_Mommie

Answer by But_Mommie at 9:14 PM on Feb. 23, 2011

• noooooo lol i learned this from kitchen nightmares. it's only shepherds pie when it's made with sheep meat. it's cottage pie with ground beef
    momofone725

Answer by momofone725 at 9:17 PM on Feb. 23, 2011

• Traditionally, after the rams that aren't going to be used for breeding have been neutered...

It is supposed to be lamb or mutton. Ground or chopped, but generally already cooked, leftover.

I only make it out of leftovers. If I don't have leftover mashed potatoes, I don't make it at all.It's best with leftover gravy, if you have any. I've never put corn in it. Or cheese at all.

Here's my recipe, made from fresh ground:

1 lb of ground beef, browned with a chopped onion, a lot of pepper and a few shakes of worchestershire sauce. Layer this in the bottom of a baking pan --I use an 8x8 glass dish.
    2 finely chopped carrots, spread over the beef
    1-2 cups of frozen peas, spread over those
    a cup of leftover gravy, or 1/2 a cup of chicken or beef stock or dark beer or coffee or brewed tea, pour over the top

Cover all of it with leftover mashed potatoes (2-3 cups), then dot with butter, or sprinkle with olive oil.
    LindaClement

Answer by LindaClement at 9:19 PM on Feb. 23, 2011

• I will tell you how I learned to make it from a friend when I was 16. I still make it this way.
    1/2 yellow onion chopped,
    1 lb ground meat
    brown these and drain. You can add a can of drained mushrooms now if you want. Add 1 pkg brown gravy and 1 cup cold water..bring to a boil and simmer 1 minute. Por this mixture in the bottom of a 10 inch cassarole. next open and drain a can of corn, carrots and green beans. many times I've only used 2 veggies. layer each veggie evenly over the meat and gravy mixture. Top that with 2 cups shredded cheese. I use co-jack because that is what my kids like.. Make 6 servings instant potatoes (or fresh if you want about ) I use Idahoan Baby Reds..they are the only instant my family will eat. Spread the mashed potatoes over the top and make sure to seal it to each edge. Bake at 350' for about 20-25 mins. Let it sit and rest for 15 mins before cutting. If you don't it will run all over.
    GrnEyedGrandma

Answer by GrnEyedGrandma at 9:22 PM on Feb. 23, 2011

• Shepherd's Pie

3 medium potatoes
    1/4 cup milk or nondairy milk
    1 Tablespoon butter or margarine
    1/2 teaspoon salt
    pinch of paprika
    1 onion, chopped
    1 Tablespoon oil
    1 lb. tofu, crumbled
    1/4 lb. mushrooms, sliced
    1 green pepper, diced
    2 medium carrots, diced
    3/4 cup chopped fresh tomatoes, canned tomatoes
    1 stalk celery, diced
    1 bay leaf
    1 teaspoon ground cumin
    1/2 teaspoon dried basil
    1 cup frozen or fresh corn

Boil or steam the potatoes. Mash with butter, milk and salt. Set
    aside. Meanwhile, Heat the oven to 350 degrees. Saute the onion a few minutes. Add all filling ingredients except the corn. Bring to a boil, cover, and simmer 15 minutes, till vegetables are tender. Put filling in a large baking dish. Spread mashed potatoes on top and sprinkle with paprika. Bake 10 or 15 minutes, till potatoes are hot.

Answer by rkoloms at 10:15 PM on Feb. 23, 2011

• Momofone is right . Real Shepherds Pie is made from lamb, has no corn added but does have peas , the cheese is optional
    janet116

Answer by janet116 at 10:33 PM on Feb. 23, 2011

• from my cookbook
    brieri

Answer by brieri at 12:24 AM on Feb. 24, 2011

• Its a layered sort of pie i put taters on top though.You can make it with all the left overs or any thing you have .Its good if made right.
    grismelda

Answer by grismelda at 2:48 PM on Feb. 24, 2011