Epi or not?

Did you do anything for pain while giving birth? If it was an epidural, did it work as you expected? I've heard a lot of horror stories.

shanapiv

Asked by shanapiv at 9:21 PM on Feb. 23, 2011 in Pregnancy

• I had an epidural with both. I will always recommend them because they are wonderful and the risks are low. My first one worked wonderfully, but I couldn't feel my legs. My second one worked at first and I could still move my legs, but the needle must have moved because by the end of the labor I could feel everything on one side and nothing on the other.
    pixiestix21

Answer by pixiestix21 at 5:40 AM on Feb. 24, 2011

• I had an epi with my son, my right leg was messed up for over a week and I never had migraines before then either, I'm 35 weeks pregnant now and will not be getting and epi this time. It did help with the pain that's for sure but all the other harmful things I know its doing to my body just isn't worth it.
    lovelyheaven271

Answer by lovelyheaven271 at 10:25 PM on Feb. 23, 2011

• I had one for my c-section.

3 years later my tail bone still hurts to put any pressure on.
    anng.atlanta

Answer by anng.atlanta at 9:27 PM on Feb. 23, 2011

• I had morphine and it did NOTHING but make me sick as a dog. I finally gave in after 29 hours and got an epi. I was induced and the contractions were one on top of the other. After almost 2 hours of continuous contraction, I gave in.

I did ask that when I was ready to push, that they turn it down so I could feel it since I didn't want one to begin with.

The epi was what helped my body to relax enough to finally progress. Next time, I won't induce unless baby is in distress. That way I won't have to get an epi.
    Jademom07

Answer by Jademom07 at 9:40 PM on Feb. 23, 2011

• Epi or not?? Depends on your personal level of pain tolerance. Know the risks before you sign on for it.
    I had two and had no problems with either one. You'll always hear the horror stories. It's like a plane. Millions of flights take off and land safely everday. The only one you'll hear about, is the one that crashes. Same thing in regards to epidurals and c-sections.
    2autisticsmom

Answer by 2autisticsmom at 10:00 PM on Feb. 23, 2011

• I did lots of things for pain coping, but never anything that would add risks!
    No drugs for me or my babies~~

Not about tolerance, it's about mind-over-matter.
    What you do to prepare, your confidence, who you have to support, your setting, etc., factor in more greatly.

doulala

Answer by doulala at 11:23 PM on Feb. 23, 2011

• I never thought of it. Labour and delivery were surprising and hard and uncomfortable, but I didn't feel any need to have any part of my body numbed for the process.

Same reason I wouldn't take drugs to make hiking up a mountain any easier. Sure, it's hard... but isn't it supposed to be?

I also tend not to take any kind of drug-- tylenol makes me feel weird for days, and advil makes me feel REALLY weird right away... so I'm probably a poor candidate for any kind in labour (or practically anywhere else, frankly)...
    LindaClement

Answer by LindaClement at 9:24 PM on Feb. 23, 2011

• I had the epidural and it did not work correctly. at first it did and then it wore off and they administered more and it didnt work the second time around, I went from no pain at all to all of it within 15 minutes and ended up giving birth naturally.
    leksismommy

Answer by leksismommy at 9:27 PM on Feb. 23, 2011

• however I will be doing the epidural again just not get it as early as last time
    leksismommy

• I had an epi with DD, and it was wonderful. I had an easy, pain free child birth.

With DS I wanted one, but arrived at 8 cm, so it was too late. The pain was god awful. Thankfully he came out in 2 pushes.
    KairisMama

Answer by KairisMama at 9:40 PM on Feb. 23, 2011