I am sick with a bad cough and sore throat. I am also 22 weeks pregnant. I know I need to suck it up and let nature take its course and get better on its own. But is there something I can take that won't be harmful to the baby. I will call the doctor tomorrow. But I wanted to know if there was anything that I can take that won't hurt the baby. Like cough drops or something. Thanks.

mom2jared

Asked by mom2jared at 4:46 PM on Jul. 8, 2008 in Pregnancy

• Most cough drops should be OK. If you're concerned though you can always buy the natural/organic ones you find at health food stores. Tea with honey or lemon would help too. Also breathe in steam as that will help break up a lot of the muccus.
    amethystrse

Answer by amethystrse at 4:48 PM on Jul. 8, 2008

• My Dr. said I could take Sudafed it workout for me and help my cold go away, robintissen is good to i hear that alot
    akaleela

Answer by akaleela at 4:49 PM on Jul. 8, 2008

• I just had a nasty cold....my doctor said I could take ZYCAM..love the stuff and I was over my cold in 3 days. I used the nose swabs! Actually they are all I use now!!!
    waterski-mom

Answer by waterski-mom at 5:00 PM on Jul. 8, 2008

• You can also ask the pharmacist. I know my doc said OK to Sudafed.He also gave Robitussin the go ahead, but only one specific kind and I can't remember which.
    MAUREEN55

Answer by MAUREEN55 at 5:08 PM on Jul. 8, 2008

• Cough drops are fine. Steam is great, my favorite way it to sit in the shower with the water pouring down on my back. And make sure you have tons of soft tissues, and blow often. Also, if nessesary, use nose spray. But make sure you use exactly how the directions describe and no more.
    WhippleBaby

Answer by WhippleBaby at 5:10 PM on Jul. 8, 2008

• I WORK IN A LOCAL ER AND THE DR SAID I COULD TAKE PLAN ROBATSEN LIL OL ME DIDNT A FEW DAYS LATER I WAS IN THE ER FOR FOOD POSINING AND ONCE I GOT IT MY NAGGING COUGH WENT AWAY. NOT THAT I RECOMEND YOU GET FOOD POSINING IT SUCKS BUT I WOULD RECOMEND ROBATESN AND EVEN IF YOU WANT TO YOU COULD START OFF W 1/2 DOSES. YOUR OBGYN SOULD HAVE GIVEN YOU A LIST OF WHAT TO TAKE
    jennymartin

Answer by jennymartin at 10:53 PM on Jul. 8, 2008

• Cough syrups like Robitussen are not good because of the alcohol content. There are a few derivatives of Robitussen though that are alcohol-free. Those are the ones safe to take. I took Quitussen, but Diatussen is good as well. It is the same over the counter Robitussen, but it is marketed towards diabetics because it is alcohol-free. It works for us pregnant ladies too!
    Danielle720

Answer by Danielle720 at 12:15 AM on Jul. 9, 2008